HybridZ

Engine Identification Number..

Does anyone have a good resource to tell me what an engine is from if i give the number casted into it?

The number from the front of the engine is:

VH042300

The engine is a 350 Chevrolet V8, but I'm unsure of the year.

Tried to google search engine casting identification number, but came up with different looking numbers.

Thanks!

If that # is stamped on the block in front of the right cylinder head it is NOT a casting Number it's an ID serial number. I couldn't find a VH # but all other V # are 350 truck engines from the late 60's earily 70's. I could be wrong, not 100% sure.

Thanks Paz.. The vehicle the motor is currently in is a '72 Chev pickup, so it's probably the same motor the pickup came with.

I guess to make this a two part thread.. When you put #1 cyl at TDC on the compression stroke, should the points on the timing chain gear and the cam gear be facing eachother (cam gear top, timing gear bottom), or both facing up (cam gear up, timing gear up)? I hear on later engines, the point on the timing gear should be facing upward..?