HybridZ

need some quick help from you guys

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey guys, i got a problem, i think my fuel pump just called it quits on me. i not completely sure but that what it seems like.

i took a turn n my car and the thing just died on me. i sat there for awhile trying to start it but it wouldn't kick over. it tried, it just seemed like it wasn't getting enough of something. well luckily my friend was behind me so we looked at it and thought maybe it was the coil. so off to checkers we ran (in his truck) and i bought a accel performance coil it was only $3 more than a stock replacement coil we got back and after some finagaling got it hooked up. still did not start! that thing cost me $45!

next we decided if it wasn't spark then it must be gas. well my gauge is messed up so we ran got a gas can and off to maverick we ran. filled that up, brought it back and emptied it into the tank and tried again. still nothing.

well we popped off the intake hose to the throttle body and poured the last few drops of gas in the can directly into the throttle body. AHA it kicked over right away but as soon as it ate the gas the motor died again. so i am thinking it is my fuel pump. what do you guys think?

i thought it could also be a clogged fuel filter but the motor was running fine right up to the minute it died so i don't really think it is although it could be a possibility. i just need to know a few things:

do any of you guys have a spare fuel pump lying around?

how much?

when could you get it to me?

that is assuming that it is the fuel pump.do any of you think that i am correct in my deduction of the problem?

Fortunately for me, I can turn the pump on independently from any other circuit on the car and drain the tank if needed. If you can do this too, it would seem straight forward to remove the hose as you said, turn the pump on, and if nothing (or low flow) comes out, yes, I would say you're on the right track. Mine is also fused, is yours? Can you hear the pump run at all if you do the above? If the pump is working correctly, a high flow of gas out the tube will be the result.

Terry

As Terry says you need to do a few more checks. Plugs wet at all? Is it TBI? if you crank it can you see fuel in the TB? power at fuel pump when cranking? if you 'hotwire' the fuel pump directly does it run?.....

Could just be an old/loose connection came loose on that corner on you.

PS electronic replacements are usually my last choice in diagnosis as they're non returnable frown.gif

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

ZFreak,

I had the same scenario only a few weeks ago. BTW; Walmart & Pepboys sells a spark tester for about $5-$9's which anyone that plans on working on their own cars should have....as you now know-it could've saved you the price of that coil; & usually electric parts are non-refundable unless defect is due to the mfg.

My situation was almost identical as yours; my car gave me no real warning...just quit running as I took off from a dead stop. The engine cranked but it wouldnt even attempt to start/no spit or sputtering...just cranked over & that was it/no start.

I checked the spark w/my tester: its spark was hot & continuous. I then knew it wasnt getting fuel. I posed the question on this forum & got some good info for testing the pump.

After jacking up the rear & supporting it w/jackstands....disconnect the +/- wire leads to the fuel pump; slide a car battery, known to be fully charged, as near the pump as possible & connect a jumper wire from both +/- of the battery to the correct terminals of the fuel pump...if its electrically good then you should hear it running. However that only indicates its running & doesnt indicate if the pump is pumping out the propper amount of pressure.

My problem ended up being the Fuel Pump Controller Relay. I dont know what year your Z is & am not sure if you have the V8 or the inline. But check your fuses if your setup is an aftermarket set up for your V8 then you may have a fuel pump fuse; or if you still have the stock electrical setup then check your relays. There's three of them; 1)Fuel Injection Harness Relay 2)Fuel Pump Relay 3)Fuel Pump Control Relay.

If you have a Factory Service Manual then it will tell you how to properly check each relay. Good luck/keep us informed as I am always curious what solution cures an electrical problem....always looking to learn from someone else's experiences when possible!

Kevin

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

PS: Just re-read your post & noticed you mentioned "Throttle Body" guess that means you have a V8. Well; check the pump as I described. Definately replace the fuel filter if the pump checks out okay. If you need a fuel pump...a cheap one/go to a salvage yard...EFI pump usually are pretty much the same. They're either intank or inline which are outside the tanks and are what you want. Just try to find something comparable....still check for fuses & relays & your ground wires prior to forking over any money for a pump (Electrical Parts are not Refundable...especially at salvage yards!) If you do buy a pump at a salvage yard take your spare battery & jumper wires so you can test the pump prior to paying for it!

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited March 19, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

hey kevin thanks for your advice i appreciate it. as to having a V8, I WISH, i am still an inliner like you (i was refering to the throttle plates on the intake. sorrry ,at least i didn't call it the one hoomdiggi thingy biggrin.gif ). not that there is anyhting wrong with the stock motor. hell my l28 is twenty years old, never rebuilt, and fairly out of tune and that thing will still leave most of my friends starin at the brake lights. i even manage to one up my friend who drives a modified 77 F250 equipped with a 400 in it (it only has a mild build to it) but any way on to more of my conclusions.

actaully now after closer looking i find that the fuel pump may not be bad after all. i tried cranking it later and it started to run for a few secs the quit on me again. and i can still here the pump running after. at this point i think it could be a simple clogged fuel filter. i really hope so. i am going to unattach the fuel hose right before the filter and see if i get a steady flow. sound good? also i will go over the pump wires with a meter to make sure it isn't grounding out somewhere on the frame. hope fully that should find/fix the problem.

oh, and before i forget my z is a '80 280zx if that helps at all.