HybridZ

miller 140 w/Auto set

CableSrv

Thats a nice machine and should do anything a car guy would throw at it.If the auto set cost more than $ 100.00, I wouldnt bother.Once you've welded a typical thickness material and have the machine working well for that material, mark the dials and theres your auto set.

You will not find the MM 140 Auto much cheaper than that, and almost certainly not with free shipping. If you are completely set on the Miller machine, I would go for it! However, if there is still the slightest openess to suggestion, try to get someone to demo the Lincoln 140c for you. Direct competitor to the Miller 140, it is particularly good for those of us working on cars, as its arc start is very smooth, and I was able to get a better bead on thinner metal than with the Miller, as well as better wetting and penetration on metal thicker than its official spec allows for. Plus, the Lincoln has an optional spoolgun for aluminim welding that will run you about $200, which I installed in about 2 minutes.... PRIOR to reading the install instructions, lol. You can get a spoolgun for the Miller as well, but its more than twice as much, and I wouldnt use it. Last, the CURRENT machines from Lincoln are built much more durably than the equivalent Millers, cooling airflow is more logically layed out, and most of the circuit boards are trayed and encapsulated, meaning that they are protected from dust, metal residue, and moisture, any of which can kill your board and machine, and is not covered by warrantee.

Just my take... if your still set on the Miller, grab that deal.... its still a very good machine at a very good price = )

I bought one for around that price and am very, very happy with it. Being a beginner, you just set it and forget it. My only concern is getting too used it and not learning the correct settings :lol:

There's been some cases where I've had to adjust slightly for the metal I was welding on, but just due to personal preference. So far it has worked perfectly every time using its auto settings. I'm going to try some thin gauge body metal very soon to test the lower end of the settings. I don't have any doubts it'll get the job done though, especially since doing the body metal it'll just be spot welds.

I think you'll be very happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...

well I got my mig and having a blast with it... my first project consisted of tearing apart some 1/8th steel rail and rewelding it and then I got the idea to make a ugly looking mace... I welded a crap ton of nuts to end and screwed in bolts!

Then I took some angle iron and made a 5ftx3ft table that will have a concrete mosaic put in as the table itself.

Later I bought some 22g sheetmetal to practice on and get a feel for welding thin metals and man, was I ever deluded on how my welding skills really are!! Lots and I mean lots of blow through. But I think I've gotten better. with a volt of 1.5 with 50 wire speed I'm able to lay 2in beads with out blow through. I had to set my HF autodarkening helm to nearly 9.5 din just to see the weld puddle good enough to determine if I'm about to blow through. My hands are not the steadiest but I'm slowly getting better at managing that weld puddle, but only time practicing will give me what I want.

Now I can't wait till I can get an engine crane with leveler so I can finally get into replacing my frame rails