HybridZ

what motor

youre gonna get flamed, but since I am a fellow (relative) newb to the forum here (bron and raised in a Z, tho) I will humour you.

Define "easily." According to MY definition of "easily" you are stuck with the L series motor... but the L series motor CAN be built into a 400 horsepower pony factory, if you want.

If you are willing to do swaps, (read: major mechanical and fabrication skills required, NOT for the weekend oil-changer) then you could put an SR20 in, an RB series skyline engine, a ford or chevy V8. Those are the common swaps.

Most agree that for simplicity, and bang for your buck, the easiest route is the V8 swap. It has been done since hotrod magazines started getting their hands on "one of those little datsuns!" back in the early seventies, so it is tried and true.

You could also build the L28 in your ZX into a hotorod engine in its own right. A Turbo setup is NOT incredibly difficult, and if you know what you are doing, you can build it into a stroker, put aftemarket engine management and fuel intake onto it, and wind up with something in the ballpark of 350-400 horse. IF you know what you are doing.

If you want easy easy, you can do some simple fuel, exhaust, and intake mods to the stock engine, and tune it up for another 20 ponies or so. Thats often enough for your first step.

And READ THIS FORUM. don't just search it for information, visit daily. Read things you dont think pertain to you. Reading is the only way to increase your knowledge level, and doing is the only way to increase your skill level. Reading about what you DO is the only way to make sure you do it right.

In the meantime, welcome to HybridZ, the internet's home of the most knowledgeable Z car guys on the PLANET, bar none.

ya im not newbie to motor swaps but with the 280 i am. and when i said easy just meant something cost effecient because of all the other projects going on right on. but i have been contimplating getting a rebuilt L28 and just fixing that up. my original motor has 323021 miles on it and still runs strong but think its time for a new one