HybridZ

Gouged bearings - evaluation?

Hey, guys!

Take a look, if you would. I know this isn't good, but I don't know how bad it is, either. My experience with block internals is shaky at best, and I'd appreciate some feedback.

Here's the bearing surface...

bearing.jpg

And the surface of the crank...

journal.jpg

And for the fun of it, the plugs that came out of the block. Not greasy or watery, just well used.

plugs.jpg

When I cracked the caps, the oil inside smelled really funky, reminiscent of burned coffee, of all things. The oil up top looked much, much cleaner.

Any evaluation would be helpful. I'm still learning about such exotic American iron (lol!), so please bear with me while I ask a lot of stupid questions for the next week or so! :-) With any luck, I'll be re-assembling this thing this weekend, then we'll see how it runs!

Scott

[This message has been edited by RPMS (edited March 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by RPMS (edited March 21, 2001).]

When pulling main bolts/head bolt on a high mile engine the smell of the old oil will run you out of the garage, I belive this is due to the acidity of the oil,(I'm not a chemist) really nasty stuff. As far as the crank goes it may have to be turned, the machine shop should (and probably will) mic it first to determine the extent of damage, as far as bearings you're going to replace them anyway. The scarring on the surfaces is probably due to low oil pressure. I'm sure you wont have this problem after the rebuild. Good luck.

ds