HybridZ

240z turbo Baseline Dyno

DCZ

Finally got on the dyno with my 73 240zt. Specs: 83 stock engine/drivetrain w/134k miles, BWT5, 7psi boost, stock ECCS, 2.5 dp/exhaust

The Good: 181 RWHP, 212 TQ

No fuel starvation - probably a bit rich in fact

Nice flat wide torque curve

The Bad: Engine falls on its face at 5K rpm. Dyno operator told me I "must have a rev limiter" but I assured him that is not the case. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor all are 6 months/5k miles old. I didn't think about unplugging/plugging the ECCS connectors until after the testing. All electrical connections are "clean" but many of the connectors are old so I can't discount some sort of connection problem. My batt. cable is grounded to the chassis like stock and I think the ignitor has a good ground. Fuel pressure was steady at just under 40psi at idle and rising with boost. In fact, the run with the higher hp was the one that we unhooked the FPR. Idle vacuum at 20 inHg. AFM passes ohm meter tests in FSM.

Anyone got any suggestions as to the cause of the 5k blues? Here is a jpg of the dyno output

showphoto.php?photo=13939&size=big&cat=781

Are those AFR's correct? You unhooked the FPR? I am assuming you unhooked the boost reference port. If that is so, then why are your AFR's showing that you got richer with boost as opposed to leaning out?

The stock ECCS does run rather rich on boost, then it starts to lean out at the higher RPMs. Your AFR curves show that you get richer with your RPMs.

Here is a good link that describes a similar setup as yours and similar results:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=88752&highlight=stock+afr

Cygnus, I'll check on that. I'm sure I didn't take anything out but you never know if it was in there to begin with. After the dyno runs (why do I always think of these things AFTER!) I thought about pulling the air filter to rule out an air restriction, given the rich fuel mixtures.

Mario, plug gap was set at whatever the FSM says, I think maybe 0.044 inch? Easy enough to check and maybe try a little less gap - do you have a recommendation?

I'm thinking this is probably electrical in nature, due to the way it "just dies" at 5k rpm. It has a light-throttle, off-idle miss that is annoying, but once you get on the throttle it pulls great with no hiccups until 5k rpm. I've read a lot in the archives about the "crappy ECCS" and my electrical connections, though clean, are not all new and perfect. MS is definitely in the future but I would love to get it running as well as I can right now.

KTM,

Yes, unhooked the vac line to the FPR. It's hard to see on the crappy scan but the red pull is the one when we unhooked the line. AFR ~13 but then dropping like you mentioned. I have no idea why the AFR would drop under boost and I can only take the dyno shop's word that the AFR is measured correctly.

Quote:

Here is a good link that describes a similar setup as yours and similar results:

Ha ha, you would link to one of bastaads posts - he has to have the longest posts here and the subject always meanders all over the place! Good info though.

With an FMU and IC you can get upwards of 270rwhp and 300ft-lbs with that setup. I have the same setup as you with the FMU and Intercooler.

Which FMU do you have? Do you like it? I've been researching MS because it seems like you get SOOO much capability for little $. Plus I like to inhale solder fumes.

270rwhp and 300ft-lbs - mmmmmmmm I still get giddy when I "mash the gas" but I'm starting to get used to it so . . .