HybridZ

carb or EFI?

Guest Speaker

Well.... my plan is this - I'll run a carb to get everything running smooth. Once I've got any drivetrain issues sorted out, wiring straight, gauges fine, etc. etc. then and only then will I consider EFI. I just decided that in my case, even knowing what I do about EFI, that taking that on along with the drivetrain swap was just biting too much off at once. I DID pick an intake that can be converted to EFI later on and I DO plan to have EFI down the road - just not quite yet!

As for the 327 etc. - why high revs? What do you consider high revving? 6K out of a 350 or 383 isn't too shabby IMO. The higher you rev it the faster it wears, the more chance you'll have of breaking something, and the more money you toss into the valvetrain. If you really want to rev consider a destroked 400 down to 377 smile.gif Big bore, short stroke - rev like mad I'd expect.

Guest Speaker

if i built a V8 Z should i do a carb or EFI?

i know what carb i would want... i'm just worried about the smoothness of the throttle, etc...

whats the tunnel ram injection thingy that GM has? i hear its expensive; i'd use a SDS system if i used EFI...

but a carb setup is much cheaper...

and any ideas on whether i should purchase an engine then build it or buy one from a builder such as www.badasscars.com

he has very good prices i think...

i just want something that revs high

should i just get a 327 and put some high revving parts in it?

where can i find a 327? what GM vehicles did they come from; i bet i can find one in a junkyard

sorry for so many questions... thanks in advance

------------------

------------------------

looking at a 240Z V8

conversion project

Guest Speaker

now i gotta find an engine smile.gif

what vehicles came with a 400ci SBC

i'm confused on the twopiece rear main seal biz... does the T-56 work with it?

because if that is possible; then that means i can find a 400ci sbc for cheap...

and then throw a bunch of aluminum goodies on it

here's my idea...

aluminum fast-burn heads, LT4 hot-cam and roller assembly; big valves... (2.01, 1.6?)

you think a 750cfm Holley w/ vacuum secondaries would do fine for this app?

anyway; if i could find a truck engine; it would be stronger from the factory and i might not have to upgrade the bottom-end; just change out the crank and rods...

but which intake manifold would be good for this? i saw someone mention the victor jr was good for higher rpm power...

and destroking a 400? would i just put a 350 crank on it?

i'm really new to the SBC world; i only know my stuff about import cars wink.gif

which they don't get this involved when building the motors...

------------------

------------------------

looking at a 240Z V8

conversion project

Guest Anonymous

I believe the destroked 400 uses the 327 large journal crank and bearing cap spacers in the 400 block. Its sposed to rev like crazy although I havn't talked to anyone first hand that has one. you might look at:

www.speedomotive.com

They have quite a few stroker kits.

Lone

A while back someone posted a Hot Rod article url that had a destroked 400sbc with a 350 crank(?!?) that I thought was now a 377? I'm all mixed up! But somehow I think you are right, Lone, that a 327 crank (aren't they all forged) is used to make a 377? Am I all mixed up? With the hours I keep, yeah...someone straighten me out here...help!

400s are getting hard to find in the yards, so I keep reading.

327s might actually be easier to find. The large journal 327 (same journal diam as the 350) was only made 68-69, but the 307 had the same journals and stroke, only cast crank instead of the forged 327.

A 327 stroke (3.25") crank in a 400 (4.125") bore block will give 348 ci. This motor was done up in a magazine a few years ago. The rod/stroke ratio was large, since they used Ford 300 6cyl rods, and it made lots of torque and had great octane tolerance. I'd love to do one of those some day. You could probably run 10.5 or 11:1 compression with aluminum heads on 93 octane. Large rod/stroke saves the day.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Guest Speaker

WOW

speedomotive has GOOD prices man... thanks!

377 destroke kit and the options are CHEAP

now i just need to decide on heads/cam/intake combo

i was thinking

23degree twisted wedge with big valves

and a hi lift cam... 234degree intake/ 248degree exhaust @ .050" and .510ish" lift on both intake and exhaust...

and a victor jr. manifold port matched to the heads?

i want it to rev HIGH! like 7-8k if possible... heheh high-revving OHV V8s sound BADASS

Yeah, those Scat cranks are really great according to David Vizard. He totally loves those cranks and the way they are made--I've looked into pricing and they are so little money, anything else just doesn't come close! If I can find a decent 400 block, which is getting harder to do, I'll be in business. 377 is the way to go for me!

David

Guest Speaker

well i need something to run pumpgas so the cam i get will need lots of overlap...

those twisted wedge heads have 220cc intake ports so don't worry; they are supposed to be BADASS...

and i see speedomotive has forged piston upgrades on their kits... not sure about their rods or crank but i'm sure they can acquire those pieces you spoke about...

they will balance the engine as well...

Watch those twisted wedge heads. The issue is with the valves rotated in the cylinders, the standard placement of the valve reliefs won't work too well. I believe there are pistons made for the TW heads though that take care of this problem.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

If you're going to rev up that high, the bottom end needs some help, as you know.

I'd go with probably a Scat forged crank, really good forged medium to light aftermarket rods, and lightweight forged pistons. Lots of top notch machine work to boot. And a really good balance job.

That's a pretty huge cam for the street. But probably needed to rev up there and make power. Heads are going to be the key for rev ability. Probably something like 220 or 240cc intake ports. Dart and Brodix come to mind. You'll be in race head land here.

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited March 21, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

Yeah its correct that TF heads has the matching pistons available. Depending on lift the TF heads could miss the valve reliefs on the stock piston and instead kiss the piston top instead. I can't recall the number, but I remember seeing something to the effect of .500 lift or slightly more requiring the TF pistons. FWIW.

Lone