HybridZ

Stock air inlet pipe?

christoc

So I'm hard at work on the Project240z.com car, learning a hell of a lot as I go along.

I decided today to take off the stock air inlet pipe because it looked like there was a tear where it connects to the throttle body. Being that I've never had a L28ET before, or actually looked at one in person beyond the one sitting in my garage I have a question about how the pipe is supposed to mount?

It didn't look all that secure before we took it off, but now that we have it off we really can't figure out how it is supposed to go on. It doesn't look like it will get a good seal on the TB, and I'm assuming that with a turbo system keeping that pressure would be key? Here are some photos.

IMG_0361

Before we took it off only one of these holes actually had a bolt in it into the intake manifold, should they both be lined up? It appears that would be so, but if we line those two up the pipe won't reach the TB.

Doesn't quite line up

If anyone has any pictures of the stock pipe on their ride please let me know, also, if there is anything temporary you can think of let me know. Just trying to get the megasquirt and motor running, then I'll look into replacing the rail, intake, TB, turbo, and going with a IC setup. Sometime hopefully late spring/early summer.

Thanks for your assistance.

I'm out of town right now - thank GOD for wireless internet....

I wouldn't worry about bolting it to the intake as much as getting a good seal at the turbo and the TB. It looks like the J pip needs to be rotated a bit and moved a bit toward the fender in order to line up properly.

I'm heading home this a-noon, so can get a pic posted tomorrow - maybe tonite - depends on if there's enuf light when I get back....

Christoc:

Sorry, just got back into town and my camera is chargine.....

The J pipe is attached using the front hole on the bracket itself There are 3 bosses for attaching brackets to the intake on the edge of the intake manifold - these are all in line. The middle boss is where mine is attached. This is actually located just rearward of the bright manifold vacuum tap (which onmy car goes to the fuel pressure regulator) in your picture (but at the edge of the intake).

I was out of town on business and had to stay longer than expected. Hope this helps....