HybridZ

Paint equipment

Azdyl05

Does anybody have any words of wisdom on what kind of paint gun to buy if I want to start practicing my painting technique?

I'm on the fence whether or not I want to try painting my car, but I figured I could try practicing on some junkyard fenders and such.

I assume a gravity feed hvlp gun is the best route, but do you have any specific reccomendations?

Also, should a person have multiple guns (1 for paint, 1 for primer, one for clear, etc...) or just get one that has interchangeable nozles?

Thanks

P.S. for those that have painted their own vehicles, how neccessary is it to use a paint booth with heat lamps?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ATD-10-Piece-AVLP-Spray-Gun-Set-for-auto-paint-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43987QQihZ002QQitemZ4616402519QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

This brand is a cheap yet a good copy of a SATA style gun...most paint auto paint supply stores have or will get them for you...I have 2 sata and 3 devilbiss guns...these spray just as good when set up correctly...just dont last as long... A good sata is 500 bones or so...you are correct about the idea of having a gun for different paints...if you dont want to spend as much money from the start, get a primer gun and a paint gun...get the tip on the primer gun big as you can...say a 2.0...most primer surfacers are thick, the large tip helps. Its sucks to not have a gun clean enough and a flake of metallic fly out in your clearcoat...if you have a gun devoted to clear this will not happen. If local laws permit stay away from hvlp guns, they never spray as slick unless you have a very high dollar setup...due to the lower air pressure not atomizing the paint as well as a hi pressure gun.. you do not need heat lamps if you use paint entended to air dry...most are dry to tough in 4hrs...you can speed this to a hr or so if you wanted to but I like slow drying paints, they flow out or slick out better with the slow dry times...Just my .02 ....p.s. i do paint cars, and have my own booth at home...for what it is worth..hope this helps..Aaron

Very good info! I greatly appreciate the thorough response!

Other than practice, is there a good way for me to determine what size tip I should use with different paints and how much pressure to use, so forth so on.

I realize you can't teach me to paint on an online forum, but what sources do you recommend for learning the basics? Obviously I can pick up a book or two, but would you advise me to take a class at a community college? Only problem there is I have a pretty tight schedule.

The contents of the ebay auction you linked to states:

This is a new set of ATD Air 10 piece set of HVLP Spray Gun Set.

Set includes:

• 1.8mm Primer Spray Gun
  • 1.4mm Topcoat Spray Gun
  • 1.0mm Touch-Up Spray Gun
  • 1 Liter Aluminum Cups
  • 125cc Stainless Steel Cup
  • Locking Pressure Regulator (0-180 PSI 1-12 Bar)
  • Metal Paint Gun Stand
  • Cleaning Kit: (1) Spanner Wrench, (1) Hex Wrench, (1) Brush, (2) Filters
  • (1) Face Mask

Features & Specifications:

• Stainless Steel Needle & Nozzle Sets
  • Knob for Spray Pattern Adjustment
  • Operating Pressures of 29-50 PSI
  • Air Inlet 1/4 inch
  • Air Consumption 3.5-7.1 CFM

Those guns are HVLP, which you recommended I stay away from (or atleast that I should use a high pressure gun); just wanted to clarify.

Should I presume that the guns included in the auction have nozles that are permanant, or are they set up to accept different size nozles for different applications? You stated that's a cheap but good imitation of a SATA gun. In my opinion, that price almost sounds too LOW for 3 guns. Do you feel I'd be happy with those products since I'm not going to be painting full time, would they be fine for me a give me a good quality finish, or would it be worth my time to by something more high end right off the bat?

Thanks again!

It will be tonight before I have time..but yes I will answer all your questions... But just know with paint you pay for what you get... Are you prepaired to spend 1200 or so on just the materials? If not say so now and I might can make you some good recomendations on what you should do...Aaron

It will be tonight before I have time..but yes I will answer all your questions... But just know with paint you pay for what you get... Are you prepaired to spend 1200 or so on just the materials? If not say so now and I might can make you some good recomendations on what you should do...Aaron

Sounds good, no rush on a response.

I'd rather not spend that much if I don't absolutely have to, but like you said, I'll get what I pay for. I might have buyers remorse if I buy really nice equipment and then only use it for one paint job, but I'm worried if I buy cheaper equipment that I won't be happy with the results and therefore regret being a cheapskate. Long story short, I'm kind of on the fence because I might have regrets either way I go.

Thanks again!

As far as I know (At least in NJ) you can only use a High Pressure Gun in a Booth with the proper air handlers. A HVLP gun can be used almost anywhere.

Another option would be to do all of the prep work on the car, and get it ready for the the final color. Bring it to a good shop, and have them shoot the car for you.

Maybe it's just me, but I have three HVLP guns and all hvlp fittings and hoses in my booth but I can never seem to get them to spray as slick as my High pressure guns...I did like the fact of low overspray so I first purchased hvlp for primer guns to use out in the shop, but soon went back to a Hi pressure ATD with a 2.0 tip and just spray at a low pressure...the only times my hvlps come close to spraying slick enough for me is when you jack up the pressure to near what a hi press gun uses. Racerx what kind of pressure do you spray at and can you guys even use high pressure guns in CA? I'm a 27yo Pro firefighter/paramedic now, but always worked in shops comming up and went to the VICA national comp in 98 competeing for Alabama and scored in the top 10 in painting and top 20 in all around paint and body...There was one competator from each state... Just put this in to credit myself a little...I dont do this for a living and know less about production work...most of my exp is in restoration... The competition stuff was alot of fun but made me realize that the south was behind in most modern automotive body and paint equipment...I had never even seen some of the equipment we used..like I said just my .02

I've been browsing EBAY the last few days and have seen several SATAs in new and barely-used condition going for the $200-$300 range. The lowest price from a retailer was $580/gun. I don't mind spending the money if it's going to produce a better quality finish. I've also been looking at compressors. Is it a fair assumption that I need an compressor that can consistantly produce 7 cfm @ 90 psi? (or more?)

I also did a little reading and saw a note that there is some sort of valve that keeps pressure consistant whehter you shooting or not. Is this valve needed to produce consistant results while shooting?

Not to overload one reply with multiple questions, but do most/all guns have interchangeable nozzles or are you stuck with the nozzle that's on the gun.

I really appreciate your guys insight!

Thanks