HybridZ

differential/tranny swap question

Guest HBZ81

Guest HBZ81

Ok I got a 82 280zx Turbo 5speed and was going to swap the engine into a s30.

http://geocities.com/zgarage2001/ says that only the 83 had the borg-warner T5.

I want to know if I can use my 280zx Turbo 5speed without any modifications (IE custom driveshaft) and which differential I

have-to/can use without getting a custom driveshaft

Can I swap in the 280zx differential and not have to modify the driveshaft (if I use the 280zx tranny)?

Can I swap in the 280zx differential if I use the 240z tranny and not have to modify the driveshaft?

Guest HBZ81
The problem is the driveshaft length, If you use the B/W T-5 you will have to have a custom shaft made.

Yes I know, but I'm trying to find out if one of those options will let me get away with using one of the stock driveshafts

The stock 4sp will work with a stock drive shaft and any r-180 or r-200 diff. I suggest you read the sticky on differentials

Not entirely true. To use the R200 out of the turbo he'd need to change the pinion flange and half shafts, but otherwise, yes that will work.

Side note, those 4 speeds are stout little trannies. The one in my 77 has been beat to hell and still shifts like it's brand new...:icon14:

The T5 transmission has an odd and difficult to find outpt spline. Most ZXTs used this transmission. It is worth the cost of a custom driveshaft to most who use it. They are stronger. They also need a bigger shifter hole in the tunnel.

Early 240Zs used a different transmission mounting system and will not adapt easily. Later ones may or may not be a simple boltin affair.

The differential choices are R180 and R200. Both use the same driveshaft pattern, but have different mounting bars. The very early 240Zs had an even different mounting bar from those. The ZXT differential ought to swap in using it's mounting bar from the later car. The hangars are also different. Likely you will want to update most of the rear suspension to the later, stronger stuff if you have the option. It is not particularly easy to do.

Guest HBZ81
The T5 transmission has an odd and difficult to find outpt spline. Most ZXTs used this transmission. It is worth the cost of a custom driveshaft to most who use it. They are stronger. They also need a bigger shifter hole in the tunnel.

Early 240Zs used a different transmission mounting system and will not adapt easily. Later ones may or may not be a simple boltin affair.

The differential choices are R180 and R200. Both use the same driveshaft pattern, but have different mounting bars. The very early 240Zs had an even different mounting bar from those. The ZXT differential ought to swap in using it's mounting bar from the later car. The hangars are also different. Likely you will want to update most of the rear suspension to the later, stronger stuff if you have the option. It is not particularly easy to do.

Well I guess mine is considered early since it's a 71. I'm starting to think of just keeping the 4spd until I can source a N/A 5spd from a 280ZX

I just checked out my parts for a T5 into an early Z shell ongoing project. The T5 appears to be about 2" longer than the old 4 speed, and the driveshaft I have is another 2" longer. This transmission and more to the point driveshaft may have come from a 2 + 2 car, I got it from a friend who dismantled the car. If so, then perhaps a "normal" 2 seat ZXT driveshaft and transmission will fit. Methinks you have the parts and can tell me.

My previous T5 adaptation was into a 510 and that required a custom driveshaft about 4" longer than the ZXT one I had. I think I have done something wrong here.......

My "early" car is #3998 and uses/used the "weird" transmission and differential mounts. I am pretty sure by the time they got the little storage compartments behind the seats these were no longer used.

I think those early cars were all '70s, and I have heard they were actually built by Mazda while Nissan tooled up their Roadster line for the Z production, so some parts and things were different from making two whole assembly lines.

My "early" car is #3998 and uses/used the "weird" transmission and differential mounts. I am pretty sure by the time they got the little storage compartments behind the seats these were no longer used.

I think those early cars were all '70s, and I have heard they were actually built by Mazda while Nissan tooled up their Roadster line for the Z production, so some parts and things were different from making two whole assembly lines.

The 3 piece 4-speed F4W71A was used on 70-71 240Z's with a build date of 10-69 to 8-71. Nissan redesigned the trans to a 2 piece F4W71B wth a build date of 9-71 and up. This moved the shifter 2.25 ins. toward the front of the car which required a new center console design with the ash tray now behind the shifter.

Whoever told you there was Nissan and Mazda both building the 240Z at the same time or anytime was smoking crack.....

LARRY