HybridZ

LS1 Coil Question - Mounting Bracket

ktm

To those that have used the LS1 coil packs in their L28, what did you do with the mounting bracket on the coil? I just want to make sure I can safely remove the bracket shown in the following picture (you can see the two eyelets/tabs):

LS1%20Coil%202.JPG

If I can remove it, how on earth did you do it? It feels like metal and looks SECURELY affixed to the coil.

• Administrators
To those that have used the LS1 coil packs in their L28, what did you do with the mounting bracket on the coil?

I don't know of anyone that has yet completed an L28 with LS1 coils. I believe both "Z-Ya" and "Chemicalblue" are both working on it... Pete triggering them with MS and Tommy triggering them with Haltec.

I'm using Wolf3D to drive cousin coils from a truck (part#12558693). I prefer these due to the slightly more compact packaging and the low voltage ports originating from the 'bottom' of the coil. Allegedly, they are electrically identical. I'll be shipping one to "Z-Ya" shortly for confirmation, per this great thread by Pete... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=120533

No modifications to the coils are necessary with the bracket pictured below...

BareCoilBracket.jpg

Its a snug fit to be sure, but the outcome is fairly clean...

HintzCoils_bracket.jpg

MikeHintzBareCoils.jpg

HintzCoilBracket.jpg

MikeHintzCoils.jpg

HintzCoilBracketCloseUp.jpg

Mount's are circled in red...

coilbracket.jpg

The heater hose is mounted to the top of the block with two clamps. Re-routing the hose frees up a secure place for the coil bracket. Long machine screws with .460" spacers behind the bracket stand it off nicely.

Custom length Magnecor wires top it off.

For more information about the above installation...http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=119783

Thanks again Ron. I am looking into some mounting options myself with the LS1 coils. The Suburban coils definitely offer a cleaner install option, but the configuration I have in mind should work as well for the LS1 coil.

My earlier inquiry about removing the tabs should be disregarded.