HybridZ

rebuild L-6

mom'sZ

I need a fresh L-6. I spent a few hours searching the forum last night and found this thread http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=118218&highlight=rebuild+kit where Z-ya (pete) suggests a place that sells rebuild kits. Here's the place http://www.rpmrons.com/Nissankits.html

The prices look good, I don't need pistons though they say they sell re-ring kits as well. I also checked Courtesy's web site and they list a very complete timing chain kit but that's about it.

I have a N-42 I would like to rebuild. I would like to use the stock pistons and just hone and new rings. Does Nissan sell rings sets that are 02 over or what ever for re-ringing. Does Nissan sell any engine components for rebuilding these engines anymore? What was the standard oversize bores for these engines? +20 +30, +40? I need to use stock pistons or exact duplicates. (this is for a SCCA ITS car) Does Nissan still have bearings for rods and crank? How about stock cams, and vavle gear?

Also, does anybody know a good engine shop in the South Florida area that could build an engine for me? Someone who is farmiliar with L6s? Perferably a shop well versed in race engine building. Someone who can turn the thing around in less then six months or a year.

When I rebuilt my L28 last year I was unable to find any sources of oversize rings for a stock bore. In the end I went 20 over (10 over pistons were too long of a wait). I purchased a set of ITM pistons and rings from BAP-GEON. The top ring is Moly and the rest cast iron. They weren't too much more than just buying rings. BTW, I went through 3 sets of rings (bought and returned) with incorrect (too large) end gaps before I settled on the ITM set. Even these had to be gapped.

My point is that I had a heck of time finding the rings I wanted. There just aren't that many choices left if you want a Moly top ring.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I spent some time on google looking for oversize rings for an l24 and was able to find some part numbers. Most people (ebay) just want to sell the rings and pistons together, so just the ring kit is harder to find.

ITM-021-1431, add -010, -020, -030 for oversize of your choice

Clevite #MHL-50983 must specify 20 over (some add .02) (chrome top #40983.02)

Federal-Mogul #E-399X .50

Hastings #6856 ? must specify 020 over

Grant #1297 020

Beck/Amley #013-3504

You can still get bearings from Nissan. Call Courtesy Nissan in Texas.

If you are building an ITS engine, I would not use used pistons. I would look for either NOS Nissan ones, or get ITM pistons with rings. They have replacements with the correct dish size. I've been running a set in my race car for over 1000 track miles and they are holding up just fine.

Check with Courtesy, they probably have new Nissan L28 dished pistons in stock. The ones that are hard to come by are the flat top OEM ones.

For gaskets the ITM set is OK, and reasonably priced. But the oil pan and valve cover gaskets are not good (cork). The intake/exhaust gasket is also not as good as OEM. Ishino make a nice gasket set, and I believe they are the OEM for Nissan. Almost 2x the cost of the ITM set, but worth the $$.

Pete