HybridZ

rajay .60ar vs. t3/t4

i have a rajay .60ar turbo i dont know anything about. i was going to run a t3/t04b. the rajay looks like a to4b so i figured it have a higher boost threshold than the t3/4 hybrid and i was just wondering if anyone knew about when the boost came one on the rajay compared to a t3/04b and how much potential boost i could expect to make from them. i would take measurments if i knew what to take them from in order to identfy the wheels. does the smaller turbine of the t3 make more backpressure than the larger rajay?

I'm running a rayjay with the .80 housing and no wastegate - just like the old BAE kit. It works well for my application but it's not the pinnacle of turbo technology! Mine is fairly slow to spool but it depends on the conditions. With the auto I can foot brake and build some boost right on the line but just starting in 1st it probably doesn't build any till over 4000 RPM.

I am running 19 PSI but I think I'm at the limit.

In my opinion its probably close to a straight T04b - I think the T3/T04b would spool a little faster.

As for the wheels I'll almost guarantee that it is an EE if its from a Z installation. I have the measurements somewhere.

i would take measurments if i knew what to take them from in order to identfy the wheels. quote]

Measure the OD of the very top and very bottom of each wheel, aahhhh.......

Here read this. LMOA!

http://www.turbominivan.com/tech/turbo201.htm

Its down in the page, buts its there. I just started trying to find out a bit more about my turbo too! :-D Its a TO4B as well.

i have a rajay .60ar turbo i dont know anything about.

I had twin 375 E 80 Rajays for my 383 Chevy. Running 145 mph in the quarter with my Z computes to 700 rear wheel horsepower at 17 psi.

I believe the inducer was 54 mm for the compressor and is T04B size. The 60 A/R will spool much quicker for your L engine than the 80. However, the T3/T04B will be more efficient and it is a modular design.

I recently bought bigger Turbonetics turbos than the Rajays at a cheaper price. Turbonetics, now the sole manufacturer of Rajays, stated no more Rajay parts and turbos will be made once the current supply is exhausted.

does the rajay spool slower than a t4 and if so is the turbine the reason the rajay spools so slowly because i cant really see a difference between the rajay and the to4b on my dads 81' ac 7020 tractor. i have a set of wheels from an old to4b that came off another tractor could these be put on the rajay to essentially make a to4b. im just spitballing here but also i have a manifold and turbo flange that came with the rajay the manifold looks like a cast iron n/a mainfold that has individual runners that go to the collector and it seems like this might be good to keep the exhaust pulses seperate and cause less turbulance but im no fluid dynamics buff.

If everything is equal the A/R ratio of the turbine and compressor determine spool-up time. On the same engine the smaller A/R will spool faster but trade top-end power.

As you know, the Rajay turbine connects directly to the compressor. The modular TO4's separate the compressor and turbine with a bearing housing. The turbine wheel and shaft are different because of the semi floating bearings used by the Rajay.

if i had could buy any turbo to match my engine and horse power goal of 400+hp goal what would it be? this is a rundown of what i have going on n42 ported/polished cc'ed with tuliped ss valves and a 280/270 turbo grind cam, 8.1:1cr, 60mm tb 42lb/hr injectors, 24x12x3intercooler, 3in dp and exhaust, microtec lt8 ecu and msd cd ignition with boost retard, arp hardware. planning to run e85 and looking into methanol injection

out of curiosity i took the airgun and blew through a damaged t4 turbine housing and it spooled up fast and moved a lot of air but when i tried that with the rajay, wich was in 50x better condition atleast, it hardly moved at all so yeah i think the rajay wouldnt be for me..i was wondering if anyone out there who has driven a t3/t04b hybird and also a full t4 could tell me how much boost they were able to run and when the boost came on, because if im wasting my time and limiting myself with the hybird i might as well go with the full t4 and external wg

i was wondering what i had so i went out and took measurments from my wheels..the compressor wheel is 2 9/16in at the base and 1 7/8in at the top of the fins there are 8 large fins and 8 smaller fins inbetween the larger ones..the housing is .60ar aireasearch with a 3in inlet and 2in outlet. the exhaust turbine wheel is 2 3/8in at the base and 2in at the top with 11fins of the same shape and size, should be whatever the standard .63ar t3 from a 280zxt came with..i was reading that some people machine their turbine housing out to fit larger wheels would that be better than going with a t4 hot side and where would i get it done at nobody around here thinks they want to try it. also i just pulled my turbine housing out of the parts cleaner and there are cracks all over so i dont even want to use it...should i find another t3 or go full t4 for less backpressure?