HybridZ

how much will it cost to fix a bent valve

typhoone

i was doing some research on the symptoms of a bent valve. The backfire, sounds like like a harley inside the car, and a loss of power....sounds pretty much like what i have. any idea on an estimate how much this will cost me? :cry2: :cry2: it still drives decent, sounds loud, boosts decent, takes a while for rpms to get up.....i really don't want to have to fix something like this...but i have to cause i love this car....what am i looking at?

i was doing some research on the symptoms of a bent valve. The backfire, sounds like like a harley inside the car, and a loss of power....sounds pretty much like what i have. any idea on an estimate how much this will cost me? :cry2: :cry2: it still drives decent, sounds loud, boosts decent, takes a while for rpms to get up.....i really don't want to have to fix something like this...but i have to cause i love this car....what am i looking at?

If you have a bent valve, the cylinder with the bent valve will have very little (to no) compression. Get a compression tester (~$20 HF) and test it. If every one of them measures ~150psi (or more), you're good to go.

It's an involved job, removal of the front timing covers and t-belt, intake plenum and manifold, as well as the head with the offending valve. Remove the bent valve, install a new valve, check for deflection (<8/1000") - if too much, new valve guide. At minimum the new valve must be lapped in, better to get a 3angle valve job.

Installation is the reverse of disassembly :)

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't drive it if I was you a bent valve can turn into a broke valve quick fast and in a hurry and then you are going to be pissed. Like specialk said get a compression checker and make sure it's actually lacking compression in that hole, as far as fixing it goes I would want to know why it bent a valve first so it doesn't do it again and bend more valves, my money would be on timing belt slipping or the valve stuck open but you need to know before you dump money into it. If you have the tools you can fix this your self pull the head off get a machine shop to take the head apart and put a new valve in it and the all the fun stuff that goes along with it we charged $60 to R&R a head and $120 for a valve job but that was for a whole head not just one valve and I worked in Nebraska so stuff was a little bit cheaper than pretty much everywhere else but I would say no more than $200 plus parts if you take it off and put it back on yourself.