HybridZ

Virginia DMV to Recognize Replicas as Class of Vehicle

Trevor

The law defines a replica as a vehicle not fully constructed by a licensed manufacturer but either constructed or assembled from components. The measure allows these vehicles to be titled and registered under the model year of which the vehicle is a replica and only requires that they meet safety and emissions requirements as established for that model year. As a condition of the hobby-friendly emissions system and safety equipment requirements, replica vehicles titled under this law will be limited to no more than 5,000 miles per year as shown by the vehicle's odometer. The new law recognizes the unique nature of these vehicles as hobbyist cars that are generally only used for occasional transportation, exhibitions, club activities, parades and tours.

Effective July 1.

I think I'll register my 1977 280Z as a replica of a 1970 240Z Scarab.

If I recall correctly, VA law already provides allowances for titling and reigstering kit cars and cars that are completely built from scratch. I believe they get black "antique" plates and are limited to being driven with a 250 mile radius of your home. No safety inspection or emissions required with the antique plates.