HybridZ

rear suspension

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Could someone help me by providing pics of the z-car irs? I'd prefer the 260-280 Z/ZX. I'm trying to get some research done on a possible swap into an early Mustang. Thanks in advance.

Guest Anonymous

I didn't make myself clear perhaps. I'm wanting to see if the Datsun IRS is a viable swap into a '66 Mustang chassis.

Thats a new twist. An Anti-hybridz. Just make sure the two (hybridz & anti-hybridz) don't occupy the same space and time. Have you considered instead a T-bird or Couger IRS rear. And if you want a Nissan, then perhaps the 240SX or 300ZX rear. All of these options listed have complete subframes in which the mounting can be simplified. Strut (shock) tube attachment on top will be the next problem. As far as pictures, any aftermarket repair manual should show a drawing of the complete rear end assembly.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, I have considered those options, along with the new Cobra Mustang IRS setup; but the folks around here want reproductive organs and your first-born for such parts. The kid I could live without.....

While I don't have pictures of Datsun search down this list and Scottie-GNZ has good pictures of a Corvette IRS (C4 - Dana-36). While he cut his down 1.5" per side you don't have to mine is not cut. This option is good for 600 + HP. Plus you get the 11.5" vented disk and the capipers have an e-brake. Mine has been under the Z for about 10 years now and I have 245 x 45ZR 16" that like to byte the road!!!!

Z U V8ter

Look at the latest Mustang mag they are doing the swap on a 67 with the cobra irs I think... Another rearend to look at is the infinity Q45.. it is basicly the same as the 300zxtt but without the alumimum parts... I didn't take any pix before I cut the one that I had up but it is a very beefy design...A freind of mine who helped me cut it up was taking measurements off of it to see if it would fit in his chevelle... Take a look it, only took us 4 big bolts, struts, brake lines and driveshaft to drop the rear subframe. If you were looking to transplant it you should just have to find a way to make the subframe and struts fit and attach. Not an easy task but not impossible and the one really good thing is the bolt pattern is the same nissan to ford....good luck nothing is impossible with enough hard work and beer....

Guest Anonymous

I saw that Cobra IRS into the '67 Mustang swap setup, and I had to ask myself "Why?". Cobras are notorious for snapping the half-shafts if you really put the horsepower to them. I might not push my car that hard, but the doubt would always be there.

Guest Anonymous

The fitting of the tops of the struts shouldn't be too difficult; at least no more difficult than fitting a Pro-Street coil-over upper shock mount would be. The Mustang has a lot of area to work with between the frame rails (which I'd keep as chassis stiffeners). In fact, my idea was to use the carrier front mount as part of a subframe connector/driveshaft loop with the carrier upper mount connecting to a crossmember welded in between the frame rails at the top of the wheel arch. My main concern is rear track width. I don't want to narrow an IRS just to find out that I screwed up the geometry.

Guest scca

whats the benefit of going to a independent? seems like a LOT of work when a ford 9" from a versaille bolts in to a early stang.

if you want to get more exotic get a quaiffe or vari-lock for the 9" and toss the leafs for coilovers and use a 3 link setup for correcting rollcenter. if you really need it you can get cambered axle tubes as well.

take a look under a trans-am type race car - theyre all 9" and use wishbone or 3 link-4 link setups.

Guest Anonymous

The benefit of a fully independent suspension is each individual wheel has the chance to respond to road irregularities on its own. This might not be that much of an edge on a prepared race track over properly prepped 3 or 4-link, but it has definite advantages on the street.

Ok, that's the high tech answer; here's reality:

PRICES: new front shock tower................100

convertible torque boxes..............80

new rear frame rails.................750

sub-frame connectors..................80

export brace..........................35

monte carlo bar.......................15

front disc brake kit.................850

swaybar/shock/spring package.........475

new steering box.....................450

Shelby steering arms.................140

Auburn posi..........................450

Richmond ring and pinion.............190

Ratech ring and pinion install kit...110

total...........$3725.00

This is to rebuild my '66 coupe to Shelby specs without ANY installation costs and assumes a good 8" V8 rear axle, front spindles, steering linkage, control arm bushings and ball joints. (If my coupe had have been a 6-cylinder, add another grand.) When I get done, I will have a car rebuilt with 1966 technology, that handles and stops like a car designed with 1966 technology. And a Mustang just like everyone else's.

If I remember correctly, Shelby experimented with an IRS GT350 and found no substantial gains on (as mentioned above) a prepared course. I had ALL the Shelby stuff on it too (I used the Detroit Locker). One thing I found very helpfull was the over-ride traction bars. So with all this stuff on it, and very happy with the results, I played with a modified Z car one day. I got dusted in the corners. That day a plan was set in motion to take the motor out of my '66 fastback Mustang, and put it in a Z car. The rest is history. Now, the corners AND the straights work nicely.

Guest scca

i guess i dont see the "advantage " on the street we are not "supposed" to drive as hard on the street as on the track so i dont see how the independent will make a huge difference on a street car driven at the legal speeds.

and not all tracks are smooth. there are lots of road courses for trans am and those cars go pretty fast..

i've had about 40 stangs (if not more) and while they dont drive like a Z they are a classic . i still have a 66 and when i finally finish it - it will be a 5.0 injected with 4 wheel disks and coilovers for height adj. and all the shelby do's like the export brace- monte carlo, relocated a arms. etc....adding the newer technology into it will make it better and it can still look fairly stock

Guest Anonymous

Since I'd have to fab up a subframe/mount anyway; what about a mix-and-match R200 suspension setup with an R230 LSD carrier? Any problems I'm looking at or are these two mutually exclusive to each other?

You guys are all so critical - so what if he wants an IRS in his old Stang. That's why we're here, right? To do wacky stuff to cars! Don't tell me that putting a Chevrolet V8 into a Datsun isn't a slightly weird thing to do, because it is. He just wants to do something unique, something trick :cool:

I gotta think that the TBird rear assembly would be cheaper and easier than any kind of Nissan arrangement. That thing already has a whole subframe that goes with it so mounting has got to be easier. Also, I've seen lots of stuff on the net documenting various strength and other improvements for that setup.

Guest Aaron

Quantrex, you should be able to mate the R230 to the Z suspension. You may also want to look at moving the entire rear suspension from a 1990-1996 Q45. It has the R230 (3.54 ratio) and AFAIK the largest CV halfshafts of any Datsun/Nissan. As a bonus, I think it comes out as a single subframe (similar to a Thunderbird), and it has the advantage of being a modern multi-link suspension instead of a strut type. It can also supposedly handle launching a 4000lb Q with over 600HP.