HybridZ

Rear Suspension swap

Guest jdllaugh

Guest jdllaugh

Reading the discussion on the Mustang guy's interest in swapping a Z rear into his old 'stang raised a question in my mind. Would it be possible to take the entire rear end out of a '90+ 300zx or a 240sx and swap it into a 240z?

I'm talking the whole banana: suspension, diff, half-shafts, cvs, brakes, everything. Does either rear drop out as an entire sub-frame unit?

I know such as swap probably is not possible, since I can't find any discussion on the topic, but tell me why?

I may have to go down to the local junk yard one of these days and crawl around with a tape measure.....

Guest Azel

I've thought about this too swap as well. The most likely candidate for the swap would be the early 90's 240SX. We all know that with a little work, the Q45 diff can be added to the mix AND the larger rear rotors from a TT Z32 could be redrilled to work on the 240sx rear. The entire assembly revolves around the subframe, so if you manage to take that off you're all set. The next major obstacle is how to mount it onto the 240z. I wanna say that it'd bolt on with a little work, but a custom subframe might be needed.

If you're attempting this swap, I'm rooting for you. The 240sx is a killer handling machine. Just imagine the wonders it'd do for the handling on a Z.

Guest Anonymous

I'm the Mustang guy. The 240SX and 300ZX rears I saw today looked like the width of the crossmember and arm location might be a problem trying to fit one into an early Z. With what I'm trying to do however, I won't say it can't be done.

• 9 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Hi, I know that I'm reviving a really old topic here, but this is all that came up when I ran a search.

My Mustang has a stock axle width of 67", flange to flange, and the '93 300ZX rear that I have is 72". A welder and rod builder in my area says that it should not be any major feat to narrow this IRS by 5". He would section the upper and lower control arms by 2.5" each, and have a machine shop shorten the two half-axles by the same amount.

I saved the rear floor pan from the '93ZX to be able to measure the mounting points for the IRS. I'm having to replace the rear frame rails in the Mustang, so having new mounting points fabbed at the same time won't be a problem.

Anybody out there with experience or comments on this kind of swap?

Thanks, Kinky6.

Could you not instead cut the SX (or ZX) subframe down (remove a central section and then reweld the two halves back together) so that the control arms could remain OEM length (easily replaced)? The reason I ask this is I considered this at one time (I own both a Z and an SX). The subframe on the SX is a few inches wider than the Z subframe as far as using the OEM SX attachment points. But with a narrowed subframe, it may work out better. Obviously a "hybrid" method of attaching the subframe to the Z will be required, but the subframe modification would seem to be a more prudent way to go then modifying the arms. This way everything will remain geometrically "factory". Obviously, the axles will still have to be shortened.

Guest Anonymous

Terry,

Good suggestion; that way, the reinforcement of the sectioned sub-frame could be as stout as desired, without any affect on the actual suspension components.

Anyone else?

Thanks, Kinky6.

I spent about an hour and a half at the yards today. I came across 3 R230's with VLSD. One was out of a Q45, but two were from J30's a 1992 and a 1999. I have been reading old posts on the 230 because I want a limited slip and a tough diff. I was looking at the half shafts from the J30 which are shorter than the Q45 shafts.

1) Do I need 300ZX shafts for the swap or since I am shortening thing anyway, should I pick up the set from the J30? :roll:

2) I did a lot of measuring and I think, with a little tweaking, the whole J30 IRS could be swapped into my 240Z. :2thumbs:

Anyone else looked at this?

The J30 setup is ~61" flange to flange. The strut/spring location is a little rearward of the 240Z but I think it could be relocated easily. the forwardmost extension of the J30 subframe would need to be cut off, but it is not necessary.

3) One of the J30's, I believe it was the 1999, had what looked to be rear wheel steer! Cool but not necessary. Did they all come that way, or do some have a solid rear bar to tweak the toe like on the C4 Vettes?

:bonk: After reading up a bit on the R230 and R200V I guess what I saw at the salvage yard was one R230 and two R200V's. I had them laid out next to each other and I swear they were identical. They definitely use the same casing. Same #'s and everything. Even the little orange Viscous LSD were the same on all of them. I will try to find a 240SX tomorrow and take some measurements to see about that swap. :burnout:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I've heard some things about this. The 1st gen. Altimas had something similar; ofcourse they were FWD, but Japan and Australia got the AWD Bluebirds. Possibly all wheel steering? Yaw control, perhaps? Probably not; I no almost nothing about what I'm talking about right now, but it should be looked into.

I do know the Altima and the J30 shared alot of parts.