HybridZ

New member. Coilover ??

New member here. Mechanical engineer living north of Pittsburgh. Converted my '71 240 per JTR, using Chevy 406, 700R4, R200, new steel body panels, trim, etc. Now it's time for suspension upgrade. I keep hearing "coilover" is best. But quite costly.

Can someone educate me on its benefits, ease of installation, any downsides other than $$ ? Best suppliers? I won't be racing, just street cruising. Thanks...

Guest Anonymous

Why settle for lowereing springs when you can have coilovers. I pieced mine together with parts from ebay and Ross C. with a little reduction in price. I agree with, Tim. You can brag about your coilover suspesion!

Hi John...welcome.....

Pros:

Adjustability...ride height and spring rates

More space for wider wheels/tires

Looks freaking COOL!!

Cons:

$$$$, which isn't to bad

a little work to install (not much really).

Hope this helps. A couple of guys on the board can supply for you and have very reasonable prices.

Tim

Guest Aaron

If I remember correctly, both Ross C and Mike/SCCA's coil over kits start at around $100 per corner without shocks. I have priced the individual parts on the internet, and still came up with about $90 per wheel, so it is a good deal.

Thanks Tim, Hawk & Aaron. Yes, Ross C. is guiding me to a solution. Coilover is the way to go. Just gotta nail the details.

Hawk, I'm not into braggin', that's why I'm building a sleeper. But that 406 growl keeps giving me away!

--JohnG

Guest Anonymous

I had some fairly simple ideas before this website took control of my project. Now I want everything! I cannot sleep at night wanting rear disc brakes that I cannot afford. I just like the way 10 inch powder coated carrera coilovers rolls off my tounge. I even got a set of 12 inch chrome carrera coilover and I learned to spell C A R R E R A I am not bragging either just stating the facts