HybridZ

Need a couple of gears from a 81-83 5 spd

ezzzzzzz

Has anyone got a trashed 81-83 5 speed with good reverse and reverse idler gears? I'm rebuilding a box and it seems the PO liked to engage reverse while the car was still moving forward. These gears are in poor condition and I want to replace them before completing the rebuild. There are couple of boxes at the PNP but I haven't got time to get there before the cars are crushed (another damn shame). Thanks in advance.

Well, I kinda expected no response but thought I'd throw the request out there anyway. I called David at Courtesy and he looked up some parts for me. It appears that all of these gears are available and reasonably priced by my measure. There were two 5 speeds in my garage (wide and close ratio) and I've picked up another close ratio and KA. The wide ratio (77) is built and ready to install. The close ratios (81-83) will be built up as will the KA (89 240SX) with a 280ZX bellhousing (professional machined to use the KA countershaft bearing). My kits use only Nachi and Koyo bearings and new brass syncros. The support roller bearings are not replaced as these rarely show signs of damage but would be should it prove necessary. The cases are sandblasted using 100 grit aluminum oxide and throughly washed. I use Permatex hi-temp gray RTV silcone to seal the all joints. The finished tranny is degreased and sprayed with aluminum paint to make it pretty and seal the pores of the casing. I'll probably install a close ratio or KA in my 240Z and sell the others if someone is interested. The early 5 speed already in my 240Z (may be a comp box or from a sedan) will also be rebuilt and stored for future use.