HybridZ

ok... new to the car thing so i need some help

Guest rodimal

Guest rodimal

Alright, i pretty much just got my first car. A datsun 1982 datsun 280zx. Now i am rebuilding the engine becasue it does need it. Also trying to convert it to turbo, i got the p90 head and the turbo and the manifolds and everything like that. Now i just need to no what i should do for pistons, valves and valve springs. I cant seem to find much stuff and when i do it asks for all these measurments and stuff and i donno what they are. Also is this a really hard converstion, would i be better getting it professionaly done? please help

If you are going for a simple rebuild, to essentially turn your stock ZX NA motor into a stock ZX turbo motor, then you have everything you need except for a set of stock turbo ZX dished pistons. The stock 82 ZX motor came with flat top pistons, which yields a higher compression ratio than the dished ones; this is good for an NA motor; but unless you are getting into building a beefier than stock motor you want to used the dished pistons.

I would recommend against trying to go any farther than stock, without being EXTREMELY patient and doing a good deal of research, reading, and searching here on hybridZ, clicking on links, and buying a few books. Go to the FAQ forum; check the hyperlinked table of contents out and read up.

For a newbie, or for ANY of us mere mortals like you and I, building an engine is not unlike painting and bodywork.. PREPARATION IS EVERYTHING. Once you have a clue how much you do NOT know, then you have a much better handle on what you DO know.

Also, never forget that the requests for you to "search" that you see so often on this forum are not limited to just typing in "zx turbo" and hitting the "search" button; it means get inventive in your search terms, check out the "similar threads" feature at the bottom of each thread you turn up in your search, and read, read, read. REsearch, not just simple searching, is what you require.

hope this helps..