HybridZ

MegaSquirt II Preparing for Install

naviathan

Ok, I built an MS-II box I was trying to sell but apparently people want the MS-I boxes more (probably because they're cheaper). Anyhow, since the box didn't sell (I was asking $400) I'm considering installing it on my 81 daily driver. It's an NA all stock engine and I plan to keep it that way as I really just want reliable and good gas mileage for this car. Here's my questions:

1- I don't have nor want a turbo distributor to do this. Can I use the stock NA distributor and how?

2- Obviously I want to eliminate the AFM. So in effect I need to drill and tap an air temp sensor in the intake right? The MAP should take care of the measurements.

3- Idle Air Control...Ok I've done a lot of thinking on this. Can I just pull one off a 90's Camaro or some kind of Chevy and tap the intake for that as well, or does it have to be in an enclosure? I can't seem to wrap my mind around exactly how this works. Does the sensor itself allow air in or is it nothing more than a solenoid that opens a passage in the enclosure?

Ok, from my reading I think the stock distributer is a VR type, but every layout I've seen show an HEI triggering the coil. Is that must? I can get an MSD 6AL from a friend for cheap if I need to, but if the stock system fires the coil, why can't MS do it? Anyhow, I've been shoving so much info into my head that I really need to just let it all digest and get some more basic answers I guess. Any help is appreciated.

You can lock out the timing in the stock distributor and use Megasquirt's VR conditioner if you like. That should work, but locking the timing out can be a hassle.

And yes, IAT sensors work as you expect. Pretty straightforward to install.

The IAC valve moves a plunger that opens a passage inside an enclosure. We have a remote mount IAC body if you need someplace to install one.

So it would be easier to run the MSD then? I can easily get one. As far as the enclosure for the IAT goes, I figure I can pull one from whatever vehicle I get the IAT off of. I have a friend that owns a junkyard. I do a lot of business with him.

Nav, I've been perfectly happy to use the stock ignition on two of our 280z's with MS-II. If you got a good dizzy and ignition module, I think it is a good way to go for NA. Later, you can always "upgrade" to using the VR circuit with the onboard '921 ignitor.

To get the project on the road, I adjusted the internal AFM spring so that the flap is forced open instead of closed. I'll remove the AFM later. I just stuck the IAT sensor in the hole in the AFM to TB boot.

There's nothing wrong with using the stock Air Regulator valve. Just wire +12v from the fuel pump supply so that the valve will close over a couple of minutes. I'm in the process of hooking up an IAC and body off a Buick 4-cylinder. Ended up with something similar to what Nish did. In fact, he put up some nice pictures:

It looks like he used the same IAC body as I did with a blockoff plate on the bottom, drilled and tapped for 3/8" barb-to-NPT fittings. I made an adapter to bolt the IAC body over the spot where the CSV used to go, but his setup looks pretty easy to put together:

GM_IAC_MOUNT.jpg

I prefer the IAT before the throttle valve but here's the way Nish did it. Nice looking.

THROTLE_BODY.jpg

Right. The stock ignition takes care of spark. Makes it very easy to get up and going. I had no hardware or software tweaking to do on the ignition side of things for MS-II.

I like starting off simple and doing little upgrades. I've got an EDIS wheel on a spare damper and am working on the sensor mount and will convert over at some point.

Just so I have this straight, I have my MS-II setup as such (this was what I figured a good generic setup would be):

- IAC - Stepper Motor

- Ignition - Hall/Optical/Coil Neg - Coil Neg. Circuit installed, jumpered D1 & D2

- PWM Flyback Dampening circuit and standard circuit installed.

So I what do I need to leave in the original system to keep the stock VR distributer and ignition box working? From what I have read, does the attached image show what I should need?

v3ext_wiring_thumb.jpg