HybridZ

broke off easy-out in exhaust stud...HELP!!

OlderThanMe

I had this problem with a head bolt that broke off in a f54 block. after 6 easy outs 4 reverse drill bits then, a torch and punch it was still in there. well lets just say my temper got the better of me and now the block has a few hammer dings deck surface. oh well, good thing i didn't pay to much for the thing.

Here's an idea I haven't tried. Lay a nut on the end and plug weld (MIG) it to the broken stud/easy out through the nut hole. Even if the stud is deeper than the surface by a few thread it "should" still work. Worth a try I think.

Here's an idea I haven't tried. Lay a nut on the end and plug weld (MIG) it to the broken stud/easy out through the nut hole. Even if the stud is deeper than the surface by a few thread it "should" still work. Worth a try I think.

I did that with my cylinder head bolts that were broken off. It worked pretty well but it still took a few tries to get a good solid weld to have enough penetration to grab the bolt enough. This exhaust bolt is WAYYYY down in the hole though.