HybridZ

AHH!! wetsanding HELP?!

sooo...

got my car back from the body shop all painted and pretty, and the owner showed me how to wet sand. Cool. so now i sanded down a door...started with 1500, then went to 2000# and then 3 stages of polishing compound, each with a different buffing wheel. cool stuff.

then i get the door into some decent light (sun had gone down) and i can still see scratches!! so i figure no big deal, must have just been 1500 scratches that i didn't get. So i sand it again with 2000. Buff it out again, and now there are MORE SCRATCHES!!

soo...im thinking maybe i didn't have the paper wet enough the second time around? i dunno. there's 3 coats of clear on it, but i don't really know how much that is and if im gonna be able to try and re do it again.

soo....anybody have any opinions? im kinda hesitant to start on any other pieces if its all gonna end up like this.

I'll try and put up some pictures soon

Oh, and another thing, make sure you soak the sandpaper in water untill it is soft.(like 15 minutes or so) I always use 3M sandpaper. I have tried the cheaper paper, but it isn't as good, and can leave scratches, and doesn't last as long.

also if you dropped the paper, DO NOT USE IT!! this is a huge mistake by many ppl. also is your water clean, and have just a little soap in it. dropping the paper on the ground intrduces grit of whatever size. my brother just finished screwing up his new paint job by doing this. it back to the booth for his car. it takes many many hours to really sand it correctly. coupla part days to really do it nice and perfect.