HybridZ

straight-forward wheel offset answer please?!

Guest comeandzpa

Guest comeandzpa

I have been searching for quite some time for a straight-forward answer to this question......

I have a 1981 280ZX N/A. If the wheel offset is 0, which is the most common answer that I have found, then do any aftermarket wheels bolt right on to the car without modification? I do no have much money (being in high school and needing to pay for the car), so things like panansports or centerlines will not work b/c I cannot afford them.....Therefore, I am looking for something that I could buy on ebay from, as someone said, someone looking to put 24"-ers on their civic. Feel free to email me if I managed to do nothing better than confuse the heck out of you with this message.

You can never 'bolt up any' aftermarket offerings. You do have to match specs (bolt pattern, offsets, and width considerations) to ensure a compatible fitment. This shows positive offset, negative offset would have the wheel mounting face to the left of the wheel centreline offset.gif

Simple explanation of offset/definitions

Simple link for comparing how changing from to a different offset and/or width will affect your clearance

I'm not aware of a simple bolt up larger wheel for a 280ZX, a few had 15" rims but not a big gain IMO. What size did you want to go to? You can restud with longer studs and use 20mm spacers to run some larger wheels but after that effort you're still in older rims and might have preferred to run my Z to Honda adaptors to then have your choice of dozens of current wheels new and used.

Any q's you have left feel free.

Guest comeandzpa

so say I found a set of wheels that I liked that have an offset of 38. How would I get these to fit on my car? Can I just buy a set of spacers, and if so where can I find them?

Guest Anonymous

Come&Z I got a set of 15x10's for my '79, offset ? haven't measured, but the backspacing (what you have to worry about for caliper/strut clearance) is 4", and I'm pretty sure its the same w/ stock. I probably wouldn't go more than 4.5" or it wouldn't clear. By the way, these monsters stick out a good 2" smile.gif

so I'm gonna have to fab up some flares, i.e. steal some from some stock flared car and trim them up. I cam sympathize as I'm also in high school and couldn't affod a nice set of centerlines frown.gif

Mine are made by a company called KMC (no namer), are kind of fluted star pattern, not half bad. Cost me about $50 on ebay and another 90 to ship. They weigh a good 30lbs each. So I've got another 20 lbs of rolling resistance.. oh well.

They'll look nice with a pair of 275/50 dr's on em!

keep us posted on your wheel situation.

-980mak

Originally posted by comeandzpa:

so say I found a set of wheels that I liked that have an offset of 38. How would I get these to fit on my car? Can I just buy a set of spacers, and if so where can I find them?

Comeandzpa, I've got billet aluminum spacers in the correct thickness for +38 offset for both Z and 280ZX in stock/ready to ship. What's the bolt pattern of the wheels you like? My adaptors are finish to a 4x100 (Honda) bolt pattern but any other needs can always be met with a custom order.

hey Ross

I bought some Z32 to wheels for my '74. As I expected....they don't fit. I don't have coil overs. and according to my measurements I need 1" spacers all the way around. For the rear, I was curious if you had (or can make) an adapter to go to 5x4.5 from the Z pattern (4x4.5 right?) and include the 1" spacing. And 'bout a price for the 1" for the front.

Originally posted by Kinked_Chrome:

hey Ross

I bought some Z32 to wheels for my '74...I need 1" spacers all the way around. For the rear, I was curious if you had (or can make) an adapter to go to 5x4.5 from the Z pattern (4x4.5 right?) and include the 1" spacing. And 'bout a price for the 1" for the front.

Kinked_Chrome, I haven't yet made the 4-5 lug rear adaptors and feel they're not cost effective as everyone wants a different width out back and making them one pair at a time results in a silly endcost, so restudding the halfshafts to 5lug (in stock ;) ) allows you to use spacers as well over long studs or bolt on spacers.

For the front, have you got 5lug already? 5 lug hubs have a greater offset so be sure to calculate required spacer thickness with the hubs you'll be using as 4 and 5lug hubs sit differently in your wheel well.

Denny, I've got the long studs in stock typically.

If you need to reach me your sure bet is via email as I can't routinely check web forums.

HTH