HybridZ

wtf cv axel problem

driftz240

i have a 72 240z that i swapped a r200 long nose into,

i used the 280zxt donated parts, the swap was a success, for almost 8 months i have been drifting the car at events only, with no problems untill last week, while at an event i blew a cv axel right "passenger" side.

i bought one from ghettozone and it came in, lookes to be the same part, spline count and length to the clip was correct, same as the oem 280zxt axel i pulled out, i un mounted the lower spindle pin and installed the new axel, but it doesnot seem to want to compress enuff to get the pin back in, still need about 1 inch of compression, are the ghettozone axels somehow different from the oem? i know it was a pain in the ass to get it in there the first time but damn im like 1 inch off and I and a friend were pushing the strut in with alot of force. should the upper "diff side" compress more, it seems like it compresses only 1 inch while the other side compresses 3 inches.

Just to make sure the short cv axel is on the left "driver side" and the long one is on the passenger side. correct?

is there any way to compress the axel any more

Can you reverse the CV cage on the new axel? THis will give you about .75 inch I believe.

ALso look for a thread by Mayolives. He had this set up on his beast of a track car and had similar issues. Seems the race track is not kind to this set up.

I had the exact same problem. I got a passenger side Cardone axle from RockAuto that turned out to be a mishmash part. The driver's side shaft is a different length than passenger's side and the "nose", the splined part that goes into the diff is also a different length on each axle. Well, this one had what I believe to be a 300ZX driver's side shaft but the correct nose. So it went in the diff, but I could not get it short enough to bolt the susp. back together.

The guy at RockAuto said the number was correct in the Cardone catalog, but he said they do tend to screw up with some frequency. They refunded my shipping costs - but it was still a PITA.

BTW, I had ordered both axles, but they said that they couldn't get the driver's side - even though the online order system said it was in stock.

These parts are becoming extinct. I did the swap several years ago, and I just recently paid the $$$ for the proper MM adapters. I guess it's all sunk costs now. Maybe I should buy that super fancy year end from that other thread...

damn, i might just have a drive line shop rebuild this one,

thanks for the info,

i returned the ghettozone axel "duratrash" and ordered a cardone from napa, and we will have to see on tuesday if it will work, if not its off to a drive shaft shop.