HybridZ

350 conversion starting

Guest Oricle

Guest Oricle

Pretty much plan on making a step by step guide here, and will be posting pictures from finish to start. Pulled everything out, all the fenders, etc are off, getting sanded and prepped for paint. Just been spending a couple hours today, fixing all the cracked boots, on a lot of the steering components. Been finding some awesome builds on this site, that are giving me good ideas.

280zconv_thumb.jpg

Ordered the JTR manual, and after reading through I'm debating to go with a LS1, or a pre FI small-block. The people who went with the LS1, how much previous knowledge did you have on dealing with all the electrical? I'm not wanting to spend days, trying to sort out wiring, which is making me lean towards a 70's 383 stroker. If I do go with the LS1 I may end up paying a professional to wire it up for me, depending on how hard it seems at the time.

My other question is I've seen quiet a few people still running the stock rear-end. I'm debating going to a narrowed 9", due to the fact this is going to be mainly for drags. Anyone have experience with this?

Guest VietVet

Not trying to overpost, as I am a new member.

But I was impressed with this Photo you attached.

That engine bay is totally clean.. Can I ask how did you clean it after the gutting?

Regards VietVet :) - :)

HY280z_thumb.jpg

Guest Oricle
Not trying to overpost, as I am a new member.

But I was impressed with this Photo you attached.

That engine bay is totally clean.. Can I ask how did you clean it after the gutting?

Regards VietVet :) - :)

Just sanded and sprayed.

nice engine bay :) looks very clean, as for the rearend, i would recommend a ford 8.8/31 spline axels, it could handle as much power as the 9'' and you will save few pounds because the 9'' is heavy. for the engine, i aint wiring freak but i'll always go with an LSx over anyother engine.

Guest Oricle

Haven't done too much for the past couple days. Waiting for the JTR kit to come in, along with my motor mounts/tranny mount.

If you want to keep things "simple" go with a carbed motor. If you have quite a bit of automotive experience, go with an LSx motor. The JTR kit is for SBC though the LT1s, but nothing further. Read the JTR manual before making a decision.

Davy

also; what kind of budget are you on, power levels, etc. they're all very important in an engine choice. i've found the best way to do it is lay out what i want from the engine, then lay out the parts it's going too take to make it happen, last check it with the budget. obviously not everything is going to mesh the way you'd like it too, but you can make your "sacrifices" at that point without risking messing up your entire build. just my 0.02

If in the future you are going to want to throw a supercharger on it, id go with the LSX engine altho you can S/C underhood a sbc pretty easily nowdays also otherwise 383 stroker as we are probably going to do eventually. Its tempting to do a Z06 LS6 or newer LS7 engine, but I can build more hp than a stock LS7 for half the price how I want it and have it sounding mean as hell. I think whatever happens to fall in our lap or someone selling something local I see is spur of the moment buy and thats whats going in it. My son wants to remove the engine out of my Z06 and throw it in...yea right! LOL