HybridZ

15 Degree tilt or not

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a T-5 trans out of a 86 iroc, I need to get a bell-housing, do i get the camaro one which has the 15 degree tilt?, or should i get a bell-housing that will mount the trans straight up?, JTR recomends the camaro one, they say it will put the shifter in the propper location. thanks Dave

Guest Anonymous

The JTR conversion mounts the engine towards the passenger side the left setback plate spacer is 1" thicker and the driver side setback plate is drilled to offset the engine toward the passenger side further. This tilt to the right makes the tranny a bit more up and down and puts the shifter toward the middle better (although I havn't seen the T5 shifter in the hole, I seem to recall it being on the left side of the shifter hole the datsun has in it already.).

Regards,

Lone

Dave,

I have an 86 T-5 with the camaro bell housing and the slave cylinder mod that JTR recomends. It fits perfect. If you use a straight up bell housing, you will have to make up something to adapt the camaro T-5 to the mount because the tilt of the trans is not on the same plane as trans mount pad.

Mike Dennis

Guest Anonymous

Mike, thanks for the info, I am going to get the camaro bell-housing, I want this to be as straight forward as possible, and it sound's like the off set is the way to go. I really have not looked that close to the mount area of the trans. Thanks Dave

Lone, you're right. I have this set-up, the 15 degree tilt, and the shifter is offset to the driver side. Enough so that I had to trim the hole about 1/2" to clear the stick. I haven't heard or read about anyone else having to do this, maybe it's just my car. I've come to discover it's not the straightest one,(urg!).