HybridZ

Maxima rear disk bracket experience

I went to a yard where I knew there were several 81 model Max with rear brakes. I found 4 or 5 candidates and after checking all, only 1 had the removable rear brackets and it was a pain to get em off.

Just to share my experience, I got them from an 8/81 built car. The 9/81 had less of an offset and was welded on. The 5/81 diesel (i bought it)car had a totally different bracket I couldn't even see for the caliper hanger/bracket that was on it. I assume it had a flat one. All other cars were welded on also.

bolt on doesnt necessarily mean you have the correct bracket.... there are 2 brackets that bolt on and only one fits the 82 caliper bolt spacing

Yeah, I saw your experience in the old posts. I pulled a caliper from a 5/82 built ZX while the yard guy was going back for another breaker bar. He broke one, and then broke a hardened adapter. Anyway, the caliper bolted up.

I had quite an experience in the "junk nazi" yard today. Read the post in buy/sell/trade section about the $800 starion eBay auction for an explanation. The llamas in the junkyard are a nice addition.

Doug(opie).

Guest Anonymous

Hey Doug,

I pulled a few sets off of the Maxima's (510's) and have found that there are 3 diffrent type's. I'm running the style for the 79' ZX with a deep rotor. There is another style (which I sold) for the 80'-83' style caliper with a shallow rotor. Finally the third bracket is near flat and will work with.. well I have no idea. I think it was a waist of money to buy. But, I love my rotors in the rear! Sweet choice. I would pull more and sell them, but I hate having to pull the hub apart. At our local yards tanks and compressors are not allowed.

Nic 2thumbs.gif

I got the one that is offset as if the ear section has been cut off and welded to the remaining 4 bolt piece. Like the brackets for sale by SCCA and Ross, I think. Not sure which rotor will work with them, but the 5/82 pattern was the same.

The diesel bracket may be correct, but it took too much to get these. I went there to get the diesel bracket but the car was hammered into the mud after I got the motor last month. They shoved back in it's slot with no tires on it. I paid to have these removed, and that yard owner is one tough nut to deal with.

Guest Anonymous

Ocbaar went to a Nissan dealership with the correct part number members were using to buy new brackets and the part # came back as an exclusive Maxima diesel caliper bracket.I picked up a set of Maxima flat brackets that unbolt easily for $5.00 and will round up some calipers and rotars to see if I can arc weld some offsets on the brackets to fit on the rotars and calipers properly.