HybridZ

PIP and SAW shielding

hoohaa

I'm building my wiring harness now and I need shielding for the PIP and SAW leads. I've seen different options: single conductor shielded wires, multiple conductor shielded wires, multi-conductor twisted pair shielded, or dual shielded two conductor wires. Theres also the option of just shielding the entire harness with copper braid or something like that.

I actually have some aluminum foil tape here that I could very easily shield the entire harness with. What do you guys recommend for shielding PIP and SAW, and potentially the rest of the harness?

I'm on a budget but I have time. If I just shielded the entire harness with one big 100% shield would that be enough or do the PIP and SAW leads need to be shielded from the rest of the harness? I would guess that twisted pair two conductor shielded wire would be ideal for this.

I'd rather err on the side of too much shielding.

you need to shield just those 2 wires. also make sure that your shielding doesn't touch a ground, causes problems as well. also keep them away from all other wires, like plug wires, injector wires, fan relays and switches, etc. tc.

An easy thing to do is re-use the harness from a junkyard Ford. I pulled the harness from a '94 Aerostar van. It's got 2 shielded cables: one for the ECU signals including PIP and SAW, and another for the VR signals.

Another thing you could use is shielded audio cable. The trouble is finding audio cable rated for the temperatures it might be exposed to.

Just a couple of options.

The important part of shielding the PIP and SAW signals is to on;y tie the shields at the EDIS module. There are shield pins on the EDIS, use those. Leave the shield unconnected at the MS (tape it up so it can't touch the chassis too). Also only connect the shield at the EDIS module for the VR sensor connections.

All this will prevent ground loops, which can have a negative effect on the signal quality of the PIP, SAW, and VR signals to and from the EDIS module.

Well I found some pretty cheap aluminum sleeving at sparkandfuel.com that I think I might buy. $1 per foot for 1/2" and I think less for 3/8", but I can't load the page for the 3/8".

This wiring harness stuff is complicated! I'm adding a bunch of switches and relays at the same time as wiring the MSII.

• 3 years later...

EDIS_6_MS.jpg

Quick question, just wanted to make sure its ok to connect the shields to 7. It just seemed weird that all the shields would go to 7, VR, SAW and PIP.

Now you say to use different shielded wire for the SAW and PIP but I assume its OK to use a single cable like the one you posted from radio shack to go to the VR sensor?

Thanks!