HybridZ

300zxt to 280z swap

das_hef

im looking into swapping out my stock N/A L6 in my 1976 280z for a turbo engine, the 280zxt swap is the easiest, cheapest option. but that single OHC 12 valve L6 just sounds like crap. does anyone know about a 300zx turbo swap? the 24 valve (DOHC?) v6 seems like it can just make so much more power. what kind of parts would i have to get to adapt that motor into the older car? what are some upgrade options to the 300zx motor?

thanks.

The V6 VG30ET and VG30DETT are some of the more expensive swaps for an S30. Lots of custom stuff to make it fit and mount it up and work properly.

I added "work properly" to the comment, because I have heard of some guys dropping one in with minimal mods (ie no frame or steering mods) They complained about poor handling and heavy steering. If you are going to go through the hassle of swapping in a different motor, then you might as well take advantage of ALL of the potential benefits of that swap, and solve some of the disadvantages of the stock driveline.

Scott.

• 2 weeks later...
The V6 VG30ET and VG30DETT are some of the more expensive swaps for an S30. Lots of custom stuff to make it fit and mount it up and work properly.

I added "work properly" to the comment, because I have heard of some guys dropping one in with minimal mods (ie no frame or steering mods) They complained about poor handling and heavy steering. If you are going to go through the hassle of swapping in a different motor, then you might as well take advantage of ALL of the potential benefits of that swap, and solve some of the disadvantages of the stock driveline.

Scott.

Scott, what do you think led to the bad handling/steering issues? I always assumed that you'd get better weight dist. with a VG. I know they are faily heavy motors, but the L motors are too. I always thought of this as a cheap (if not fab intensive) swap, though I've never looked into it, so no one should take this post as advice. Just curious why my assumptions were wrong. Could solving this be as simple as corner weighting the car with the motor not welded in yet?

Tony.

The steering issues arose (I talked with the guys who did the swap) With the motor being too far forward and raised (to clear the steering and alt)

The motor is actually quite light. Nissan says it is approx 395lbs fully dressed with no tranny.

The drivelines are realatively plentiful, but your right. The fab needed to get one installed properly takes skill/time and a ton of $ if you need to pay someone to do it for you.

There is turbo/steering shaft clearance issues, alternator clearance issues, oil filter clearance, oil cooler lines, brake lines, exhaust etc etc. My swap is pretty bare bones, no air, no p/s, minimal engine electronics, modded tranny etc etc. Nothing overthe top difficult, but it does add up to a lot of work. Even with all the custom stuff, my engine is very easy to pull out. Bolts and mounts are accessable. There was a lot of thought and planning to make everything work as well or better than stock.

Scott.