HybridZ

Difference between an odd fire and even fire ignition?

Odd -Fire engines are those that do not have an even angle between TDC events.

Harley motorcycle engines are a good example of an odd-fire engine as is my Buick Stage 2 V6.

My engine is essentially a V8 block with 2 cylinders cut off. In the classical V8, the block has a cylinder bank angle of 90* and a crankshaft with throws spaced every 90* (2 rods on each journal), producing an evenly spaced firing sequence with 90* intervals.

In the odd-fire V6, the 90* block is mated with a 120* crank, still 2 rods sharing a journal, so the firing angles are uneven: 90*-150*-90*-150......

Even fire 90* V6 engines have been made by splitting the crankpins to give 120* between TDC events, but this comes at the expense of a weaker crankshaft.

I have learned that there have been many odd-fire engines built over the years, including F1 designs. My crank and rods came from a long track NASCAR Busch GN motor, where the good ole' boys valued endurance. You would think that there would be a huge power loss using this seemingly screwball scheme, but whatever loss there may be has evidently been made up for by strength and packaging advantages of the odd - fire configuration.

I really can't wait to hear what my motor will sound like - will definitely be unique. I'll not be using an experimental Megasquirt on my expensive new engine, however - Going with an Electromotive TEC3r that supports odd-fire.

Awesome info, thanks for that, for it cleared up a lot. I know with the engine I have in mine, which is basically stock with a N42 head, I'm going to upgrade it to EFI and electronic ignition. Going MSD with both. Doing the ignition first, then convert it from the carbs to EFI.

Odd -Fire engines are those that do not have an even angle between TDC events.

Harley motorcycle engines are a good example of an odd-fire engine as is my Buick Stage 2 V6.

My engine is essentially a V8 block with 2 cylinders cut off. In the classical V8, the block has a cylinder bank angle of 90* and a crankshaft with throws spaced every 90* (2 rods on each journal), producing an evenly spaced firing sequence with 90* intervals.

In the odd-fire V6, the 90* block is mated with a 120* crank, still 2 rods sharing a journal, so the firing angles are uneven: 90*-150*-90*-150......

Even fire 90* V6 engines have been made by splitting the crankpins to give 120* between TDC events, but this comes at the expense of a weaker crankshaft.

I have learned that there have been many odd-fire engines built over the years, including F1 designs. My crank and rods came from a long track NASCAR Busch GN motor, where the good ole' boys valued endurance. You would think that there would be a huge power loss using this seemingly screwball scheme, but whatever loss there may be has evidently been made up for by strength and packaging advantages of the odd - fire configuration.

I really can't wait to hear what my motor will sound like - will definitely be unique. I'll not be using an experimental Megasquirt on my expensive new engine, however - Going with an Electromotive TEC3r that supports odd-fire.