HybridZ

350/350 combo to 350/t-56?

Guest Tom Simpson

Guest Tom Simpson

how hard is that going to be? anyone know of a place in Az that will do it for me rather than having me screw it up? It's either this or get the gear vendors overdrive.

thanks,

Tom

Hrm, do you still have your clutch pedal? Clutch master?

Should be as easy as:

Unbolt TH350 and pull

remove flexplate

install "correct" flywheel - probably the Centerforce

install clutch

lightly clearance tunnel, install trans

measure and have a new driveshaft built

install clutch masterslave

Do you have the JTR book? Most of this is in there but not specific to the T56. I think you might be happier with a T56 than an add-on overdrive. The overdrive sticks still further out the back of the trans and the existing driveshaft is already pretty short I'll bet.

heh, short enough that I wonder if a carbon fiber driveshaft wouldn't be too bad to have built - it's pretty short :-)

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, its short alright. My driveshaft was like 19 1/8". I didn't think about the GV OD on the 350, but yeah it would make it (the driveline) probably shorter and the tunnel gets narrower back there. According to Car Craft the OD is about the size of a 2lb coffee can and it hangs on the back of the tailshaft housing (or in liu of). Carbon fiber could probably be used for a shaft, might (almost certainly) cost bank though.

The GV OD will run more than buying a J-yard T56 w/clutch and flywheel (depending on the price you find one for)or a complete kitted 700/R4 with converter. if I do recall. (isn't it like $2300 or so?)

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited March 29, 2001).]

The driveshaft with a GV OD on the back of a JTR position TH350 would be, what, 10" long?

You'd have to relocate/reorient the differential to get any kind of decent u-joint angles with a shaft that short.

The T-56, T-5, Tremec 5spd, 700R4, and 2004R are much easier and probably cheaper ways to get OD, in my opinion.

Yeah, that'd be pretty cool.

What I'd really like is a T-56 with a Ferarri inspired paddle/auto shift function. Clutch only for launch, and paddles putting the clutch in/out and shifting for you. Add and auto mode to that and you'd have the "ultimate" 6 speed automatic. I can dream, huh?

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

quote:

Originally posted by pparaska:

...What I'd really like is a T-56 with a Ferarri inspired paddle/auto shift function; and you'd have the "ultimate" 6 speed automatic. I can dream, huh?

Hey Pete,

You could have that, and much more/all you have to do is complete an "Updated Business Plan" on a 5year note & submit it to your wife! That should get you the extra dough & only 5 more years added; or hey/a double mortgage but let your wife be the bank; eventually she might end up owning anything that is valuable to you...but hey/you'ld have one bad to the bone Z!

Really now; what's a few more years?

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, the one cool thing about the GV 0D is like you say, it can be used in lower gears as a splitter. Cost is a bit high for me, but hey, nothing about these cars are necessarily a cheap proposition, and if you already have a built 350 TH, then what the heck, it'd be different thats for sure and it would give spread of gears.

Lone

I think the T56 is a better way to go for the money...if you want a manual tranny. I looked at the GV unit a few years back and my jaw slapped the table as it fell off my face when I saw the price. No thank you.