HybridZ

What is wrong with my rear drums?

Guest Pegasus76

Have you adjusted the shoes out with the starwheel? If not, that has to be the problem. The shoes should be adjusted to where there is just a slight drag on the drum. when finished with this, pump the brakes again. this will help to center the shoes. Then readjust them again to a slight drag. ;)

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, Den's right, adjust out the star wheels with a brake spoon and see if that helps. If it doesn't, the you have some drums that someone has turned beyond spec and thats not a good thing. I suspect a simple adjustment. Tighten the star wheel until the drum acts like the brakes are on and then back it off a bit until it turns free without a ton of drag (well a bit but not like you can barely turn it) and give that a try. That'll probably do it.

Good luck,

Lone

If your shoes have been soaked with brake fluid, you will need to replace them. Otherwise they will "grab" and could possibly disintigrate. Make sure to clean all components thoroughly with brake parts cleaner to remove any residual brake fluid.

Guest Anonymous

Good tip, also on drums a often forgotten step is to add a bit of grease (high temp) to the pads on the backing plate that the shoes ride on, its a little thing but it helps. Brake hardware isn't super expensive and often not replaced, springs over time can get weak from the heat and such and its not a bad idea to replace them every few decades.. :D

Regards,

Lone

Guest Pegasus76

Ok, I bought 2 new wheel cylinders as well as pads and installed them both. But the thing is, everytime you pump the brakes more than about 4 or 5 times the pressure builds up and pops the piston of the wheel cylinder out? what's wrong?...I have a 1976 280Z

Cycling the parking brake a number of times after messing with the rears, before you apply

brake pressure, is a good idea. This *should* turn the adjustment wheel out for you, and

you don't even get your hands dirty (depending on the state of your parking brake handle).