HybridZ

stock wiring?

Guest WhatBoost?

Guest WhatBoost?

i have a 73 240Z and i just started the restoration process, and im goin to be putting an sr20det.

well my question is should i throw away the old harness and make my own wiring for the lights and such.

so i would have to make new wiring for lights, wipers, brake lights, interior lights, radio, and instrumental gauges right? is there anything else that the stock wiring harness powers? i mean i know some are for ignition but i can do that as well.

ok well i have most of the car gutted out... no more interior and no more engine/trans/diff, all that remains is the suspension so i can still tow it around. question here....... since im this far already, should i take out all the glass(windshield/mirrors/windows)? cuz im gettin it painted next week

• Administrators

***Admin note.. This thread has been moved to the appropriate forum. ***

Rewiring a car is totally subjective. Of course the 240 is the easiest of the Z car line in regards to wiring and electrical as it had the least wiring in it from the factory. Some guys on here wouldn’t bat an eye on rewiring their 240-Z, if for no other reason than to eradicate the known 240 wiring short comings such as power to the head lights, wipers etc. It really depends on your electrical aptitude. If you have some automotive electrical fundamentals and want to tackle a rewarding project, I say go for it. Especially since you are restoring it with an SR20DET, bringing the wiring up to modern standards would make sense to me any how..

(Restoring a 240-Z, but with an SR20DET?! Is that an oxymoron or a HybridZ?) wink.gif

well, I will comment ON topic before I skew it into a tangent...

Personally, I would take your time in rebuilding the harness.. rather than just yank it all out, examine hoe things are set up in the first place and find if there are any bits you want to leave intact. Some things, like the instrument loom, might be best off with a thorough inspection rather than replacement. However, IF the concept itself does not really intimdate you, then re-doing the whole shebang is not an awful ordeal.

Now, OFF-topic.. BRAAP, I think that "HybridZ OxyMoron" should be an honorary title granted to anyone here who has too many tendencies towards the "purist" to REALLY fit into the Hybrid crowd (like me) Somehow it just seems appropriate..:lmao: