HybridZ

Evaluation: 1977 280Z Scarab Turnkey

I would appreciate help in valuating my 1977 280Z Scarab Factory 350 Turbo. This was a turnkey car built in 1980. I have complete documentation. The only modifications are a new Borgwarner T56 and the JTR set back engine mounts. It requires a few finishing details. It is complete and unmodified since produced. It has had two adult owners and has never been abused. It was built at 44,000 miles and now has approx. 60,000 in 27 years. Feel free to email me for details and any specific questions at domc3333@comcast.net.

Thank you.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Send a PM to dsommers. David has probably one of the nicest scarabs in the country, IMO. He is also a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the cars and has connections to some of the hard core Scarab folks around the country.

Bryan

Valuation is vehicle appraising and that is not something that is easily done by most. Is this for insurance purposes or selling purposes? The Z is only worth what someone will pay for it. I think ebay and auction houses will bring you what the "market" thinks of the value for the car because the Z will sell to the highest bidder. If you can find some recent data of sales of Scarab cars as reference, it should give you an idea of what your car is worth. That said, other than the uniqueness of owning an actual Scarab, built by the company, there is not much collectable value (completely my opinion) since there are still a good number of z cars available, they still are relatively cheap, and the available engine options have gone through the roof. Dare I say that some of the daring conversions on this site now more than rival anything Scarab ever produced? That remains in the eye (and wallet) of the beholder.

As said above, dsommer owns a very nice 240z Scarab and might lend some insight into what you are looking for.

I think your car is clean, has most of the Scarab options, and appears very well maintained. My opinion isn't worth much *haha* so I look at your car a bit differently than a Scarab enthusiast, but I'd say your car is worth $9,000 to $15,000. That figure comes from nowhere, really.

Email or PM dsommer.

Davy