HybridZ

Best body filler to skim fiberglass?

Zerrari GTO

I need some advice about skimming the trunk lid of my Velo Rossa kit.

I will need to build it up around 3/16" in a couple of places and wanted some recommendations on which body filler to use on fiberglass. I also wanted to know if I can apply it right on top of the jelcoat.

Thanks!

I just finished installing the SubtleZ kit, and I had similar needs. Here is what I did To build thickness in some areas:

I ground away the gelcoat.

I mixed West Systems Epoxy 105resin/205 hardener with West systems 403 chopped glass fibers. This is mixed to a consistency of cake icing and spread like body filler. Let it cure and then sand to shape. Then re-skim with a mixture of the Epoxy and West Systems 406 Colloidal Silica (finer texture). And then finish with Evercoat's metal glaze.

The mixture of 403 and resin yields a strong hard (but textured) surface. The mixture of 406 and resin yields a finer texture but less strength, and the metal glaze yields a perfect surface.

The good thing about using the resin chopped glass as a filler is that it has the same strength and flexibility as the base fiberglass.