HybridZ

New guy looking for old car...260 or 280 advice.

Hi all. Been lurking here for awhile. I want to purchase a 70-78 Z. I'm not fond of the ZX's.

There are 2 within 20 miles of my place currently for sell.

A 260z with rusted floors but everything just about it solid (rails, battery, tirewell, fenders, rockers...etc) Just 2 big holes in the floors. Runs but needs some serious tuning. Haven't driven it yet but would before purchase. It's got it's original L26(?) and smog carbs. It's an automatic (much rather have the 4 speed) Been repainted atleast once. Originaly blue now a burgandy. I can't find bondo in the usual places. Window channels seem solid but the seals have gaps so it won't be too long for they do rust through. The windshield has a large crack. I haven't seen a windshield for sale as a repro. Are these available? Anyways the guys is asking $1250. The lowest he would go so far is $1k. I'm betting I could take it with $850 to 900 cash if I had it in hand when I spoke to him next.

The second car is is a 77/78 280z. Not sure which. It's a 5 speed and I'm assuming all original. Gold with white interior. Rusty is understating it. Rusted floors, rockers, quarters, doors. I mean rusted through not just surface rust. This car has cancer. I haven't spoken with the owner myself but I've been told $1500 is his price. That's nuts.

I betting noone would buy the 280z considering it's condition. But the old ball status of the 260 with it's automatic makes me want to look longer and harder. However given my current choices the 260 seems like a steal. I've seen higher prices and non running rusted cars online. I know sometimes guys here find good car for low prices but is this atleast average?

I know a salvage yard with several wrecked 280zx's. I'm thinking of transferring the entire driveline (motor, tranny, and rear) into the 260 body. I'm betting I can get one of those cars for $600 or so. So potentially I could have a 260 with patched floors, L28, 5 speed, and r200 for something like $2k roughed out. Sounds ok to me.

Just realized during my "research" prior to buying phase that the 260 had dual Weber DGV's. Better than the smog carbs I guess.

I want a driver car I can occasionally cone race at local events.

Any advice?