HybridZ

Hopefully easy ? Inner tie rod ends - what size...

Guest 12lbsofbeans

Guest 12lbsofbeans

Car in question; 78 280Z

anyone know what size wrenches I need to remove the inner tie rod ends from the rack?

I read in the FSM but it just says remove assembly, do not separate some part from another - with no pic of what they are talking about, I'm somewhat confused here. Looking at the rack working from the outer tie rod in: you have the inner joints ball and socket portion which is threaded on to a shaft that 1" or bigger. The ball&socket has a place where you can use a spanner wrench but from the FSM I'm thinking this is what you don't separate? You can see the threaded shaft for inch or so then there is a square shaped nut that is tightened against another nut(possibly) it may be a flange on the rack itself. I believe its has a black finish. I was thinking these were the nuts I am supposed to focus on?

My ? is what do I actually need to loosen to remove the inner joint from the rack? And what size wrenches?

If this made any sense and someone can answer these ?'s I'll be in debt to you as I'd love to have my Z with no steering shakes! :D