HybridZ

82' 280zx LS1 swap, possible?

Guest Jaundice

Guest Jaundice

I've got a 82' 280zx turbo with a broken in-line 6 engine, is it possible to stuff an LS1 in it? i haven't found any motor or trans mounts for the swap anywhere on the web. i can fab some mounts if thats the only problem. ive gotten word of someone with an LS1 out of a new GTO for only 800 bucks, and it'd be a shame to let it go.

• Administrators

Jaundice,

Welcome to HybridZ. THE source for extreme Z car performance.

An LS-x in a 280-ZX, yes it is very much possible. I’ll be honest, that question is like asking, “Is a Z car with a V-8 fast?”

I don’t think anyone here has found any production automobile engine that wont fit forward of the Z car firewall. Some swaps just require more imagination, money, discipline, tooling, skills, etc than others. The LS-x conversion is not the easiest, but is also not the most difficult either. Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, that alone will dictate just how intense and exhaustive the conversion will end up.

Due to the Z cars cavernous engine bay, the real question is when are you getting started on your LS-x powered 280-ZX? We would love to see that project come to life and documented here on this forum.

Being as you are new here, I ask that you please read this link thoroughly, #11 will help considerably with your question, and don’t forget #2, that one is the most important and seems to be the most ignored.

Read-me

Welcome to HybridZ

I don’t think anyone here has found any production automobile engine that wont fit forward of the Z car firewall. Some swaps just require more imagination, money, discipline, tooling, skills, etc than others. The LS-x conversion is not the easiest, but is also not the most difficult either. Depending on how much of a perfectionist you are, that alone will dictate just how intense and exhaustive the conversion will end up.

How about replacing the inline 6 L series with a 5.9L cummins inline six. There's a 70's monte carlo with on in and it barely fit in it length wise. haha. not trying to list all of the engines that wont fit. I just thought of the monte carlo when you said that.

#1 GTO engine of any year won't go for $800. It's more like 5k to 8k

#2 Your biggest concern is the driver side header. You will have to fab your own header on the driver side because there is not much room there. The other option is to put in a universal joint in the steering rod and pivot it onto the frame rail. This way it will give you more room so you can use the JTR header.

#3 The ZXs engine bay is a bit shorter then the Z's engine bay. Therefore you will have a little less room between the water pump and the radiator. So running the intake duct could be a little more challenging. GL

Vinh