HybridZ

Headgasket blown or not?

datman

I've been taking it pretty easy on my new engine but I have a problem. This evening I lost a couple of litres of coolant from the radiator cap after taking it for a quick spin up the road and back. It didn't overheat and seems to be running fine still. There is no water coming from the exhaust and there are no bubbles showing in the water when I take the cap off and rev it. I also smelt for exhaust in the radiator, checked oil and oil cap for mayo and all were fine. confused2.gifconfused2.gif .

I took the cap inside to check the spring, placed it on some scales and it starts to release at around 11lbs, as the water wasn't boiling at the time I doubt that was the cause.

Any ideas?

The head was skimmed, the block was cleaned and checked and it has a steels headgasket with ARP head bolts.

Engine is an F54/p90 turbocharged. Completely rebuilt.

Maybe you had a big bubble in the cooling system?

I had something like this happen in my NA except that it was one of the lines that goes to the heater core wasn't fully tightened, and would not leak unless it got up to operating temp.

Maybe check your hose clamps as well as a precaution?

Mario

The water definitely came out of the rad cap. The cap should have 2 rubber seals but the upper one is missing so when the lower one vents water it spurts out of the cap rather than blowing down the vent hose. Maybe it has the wrong pressure rated cap or the lower coolant hose is collapsing under suction.