HybridZ

Guest christo

Hi everyone!

I have sourced some good info from this site and have already talked to a couple members up here in the Pacific Northwest RossC/SCCA.I like the more technical nature of most of the questions compared to other sites.

I'm currently resurecting a 1970 240z GT 2 race car. This car has had extensive racing experience up here and the previous owner decided he had to shave of a few seconds and went to tube chassis.

The portion I got was basically the shell w/cage.

I have torn down a 77 280 donor car which I'm using for engine/running gear.

Lots of work & $ :eek:

Anyways quick question.

How do you get the bushing out of control arm? The manual says you need a press.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

You will get different opinions on the best way to remove them. Personaly, I like to burn them out with a propane torch. I was talking to a Corvette shop the other day when the topic of getting old bushings out came up. I was told that for years, they have been taking out the old bushings by burning them out. It's not the cleanest solution to getting them out, but it will work. You can also drill holes in the bushing and kind of cut it up and push it out. But, if you have a press, I would use that, less messy. Just my $.02

Oh yeah, welcome to this cool site!!

!M!

I just burned them out and scraped out chunks every 5 min. Major smoke show but it wasn't to difficult. Finished it off with a wire hone brush on my drill and now as smooth as a babies A..

Cheers

Chris

Guest Anonymous

Fellows, the problem with burning the front control arm bushings rather than the PITA drillin methodg is the HEAT which has some profound aspects to metallic objects like hardening or softening the structure. 1200 degrees will make it the softest while about 300 more degrees will make it the hardest and most brittle unless the metal is again heated to a 400 to 500 degree level to limber it up. When you are playing with Fire you are playing with Fire on your front suspension.

Chris,

What bushings are you replacing the old ones with? You may have to cut out the metal shell that the old ones used to sit in, but I think that may only be the case with the Energy Suspension Polyurethane bushings. Use the search feature in the upper right hand corner of your screen and research this.

!M!