HybridZ

help engine and fuel problem!

Guest eight_men

Guest eight_men

I just bought a 1974 datsun 260z and a newbie when it comes to cars. I just have acouple of questions about some problems that i have been having with my car. When i drive the car, i can really smell fuel inside my car, so can anyone explain what might be the problem? Also after driving the car for a while, the car starts slowing down and then dies. So Ill have to start the engine and step on gas at the same time for it to start. I was just wondering if the fuel problem has anything to do with it dying on me?

i have a 71 240z and was running into a similar problem, my car never died on me (knock on wood) but the smell and a lot of smoke as a factor. nevertheless, i would have someone (if you dont know how) tune the carbs and make sure the timing is right. the carbs are probably the issue, you want to make sure the mixture is correct. i see youre in fresno, im in soCal so i dont really know anyone up there, but i guarantee there is someone in hybridz up there. get yourself the manual, try yourself, these cars are awesome and the stock motor is easy to work with. if i were you, i would keep the 260 block, get yourself a p90 head and swith the carbs to early Z (70-71) carbs, unless money is not a factor, get yourself some Webers. Also, i would recommend getting an electronic distributor if you dont have one. good luck!!

Guest eight_men

When i bought the car, the previous owner already had tripple webbers installed. The car also have an l28 bottom block and five speed transmission. Also where can i get an electronic distributor for the car?

Guest blue260z

I had the fuel smell inside mine and it was the hatchback seal was bad. Replaced that and everything was good. Make sure it is sealing when close. exhaust from the exhaust pipe is getting in from there. That was what was going on in my 260z.