HybridZ

Problem with oil pump drive

savageskaterkid

the pump drive gear is the worm gear on the crankshaft. that gear meshes with the gear on the oil pump drive shaft, if the gear on the crank is on wrong the two gears wont mesh. the drive gear on the crank is chamfered on one side, one side will have a different tapper to it, that side faces the main bearing journal. do you own the how to modify your nissan and datsun book??? if so turn to page77 there is a pic of the crank pulley, behind that is the worm gear,than turn to page 93 , read where the headline says install external parts. I hope this helps..

It appears that this may be causing the problem, is it a possiblility that the worm gear may have slipped?!? I do own the book, although another Z friend is borrowing it, could somebody scan these 2 pages?

What I don't understand is, I put the oil pump on when it was on the stand, all went in fine. The I had to remove the front cover because I forgot to put the oil thrower in there, could this be what I'm hitting, is there a possiblity that I put the oil thrower in wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

turns out that I set it off the pump, and my timing was only off by about 70 degrees. I'm actually impressed that it would backfire. I pulled it apart again and got the timing set at 0 degrees and I'll time it from there. Its ready to run, but I had to fix my daily. I may start it tonight, if not tommorrow.