HybridZ

Driveshaft Question

buZy

Hello all, Ok in good faith I searched for an hour or so but didnt find exactly what I needed. Will try short to make this short and to the point. (yea right lol)

Updating a new DS for the Z to delete the old small oem Z u-joint (scary it lasted this long!) Have a few (a thousand) questions. Did some measuring, See pics.

1. What is the proper u-joint spec/sizes I need?

The front output shaft shown mates to the T-56. Not sure the year of the trans or output shaft type so this is why I ask.

With the numbers shown, can someone give me a part number or size so I can begin to source a true quality high performance u-joint? This joint does have c-clips on the inside.

The rear is the JTR part DAT-110. After viewing the JTR website it list as follows. "The V8 flange uses a Dana 1310 u-joint. This is used on most 1974 and older Nova, Vega, and Camaro driveshafts. The 1310 u-joints use c-clips on the outside of the u-joint."

OK that sounds simple enough to source.

2. Is it safe to have an Aluminum DS made instead of Steel?

If ok to have one fabricated in alum, what would be an appropriate tube diameter for this application?

If fabricated in steel, again what would be an appropriate tube diameter for this application? (street reality, no drag racing, high speed freeway, minor autocross etc.)

How much weight reduction is possible in alum?

This current complete assembled steel unit is 11 pounds, 2.5 tube diameter and only 20 inches long between joint centers.

What are the pro and cons between materials/performance and $$$cost?

What would be the best solution here?

Thanks everyone! Much respect to you all.

Brian

Picture_0012.jpg

Picture_0055.jpg

Picture_0091.jpg