HybridZ

SR20det into a 521, a father/son prject

Roostmonkey

Ive mentioned this swap in other forums but now I'll start giving updates here.We are still waiting for the new motor to arrive from Japan but we've been prepping the truck for its arrival. Heres some pics Ive already shown but they should also be in this thread to show things from the start.

heres the truck the day we hauled her home

Zs001.jpg

My local body shop owed me a paint job from some fab work I had done for him over the last year or so. There was very little rust and no dents to speak of so he did this job for repayment.He also Rihno'ed the bed at no charge.

BensTruck001.jpg

My son drove it with the stock L16 for a year and a half with lots of minor problems, mostly fuel related. He's been seeing me prepping for an RB26 swap into my Z and as he was graduating from HS, he decided that a motor swap for his extremely slow truck would be a good graduation present.How could I dissagree? I chose the SR for a couple of reasons. One, there are only a handfull of 521's with this swap and the SR has lots of potential if he gets board with the stock performance.Heres a pic of the engine as it was getting crated in Japan.

IMG_2602.jpg

The old engine is out and he's cleaning the bay getting ready for new paint.We have the disc brake kits ready to install and fuel tank is ready for a sump install.I'm told the motor will be here within a couple of weeks and we hope to have all these supporting upgrades completed before it gets here.

• 1 month later...

I recieved the motor just as Karim said and its v ery clean and fresh. We stripped off all the stuff we wont be using and bolted the tranny up.The engine bay was ready for the new motor so we tried to drop it in.Unfortunatly. theres not enough room to put them together so back out it came and after seperating the two, we were able to drop it right in. Surprisingly, the stock SR mounts dropped right onto the isolator studs only not at the right angle.So some minor rework is in order.Heres a couple of progress shots.

SRB002.jpg

SRB009.jpg

SRswap004.jpg

SRswap003.jpg

Well, when something seems too easy, its usually wrong. The motor set back into place perfectly, everthing lined up dead nuts. Turns out, the motor also needs to shift !/2" towards the passengers side to give some clearance for the turbo and steering column.Back to the bandsaw ang welder.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up building a gantry to position the motor better and it was well worth the effort.It allowed rotation and elevation changes to get it just right. I only picked the motor from 2 spots towards the front and made the other adjustments from the tail end of the tranny.The SR tranny is considerably bigger than the stock box and I had to remove alot of the tunnel's top. It feels good to make progress.

SRmotormounts010.jpg

SRmotormounts011.jpg

Here it is in its final resting place...yipee

SRmotormounts014.jpg