HybridZ

$150 COILOVERS

Found a set of $149.99 coilovers at Pep Boys in the "Fast and Furious" section (right next to the flourescent license plate holders...). They're made by APC, and are supposed to fit on Hondas and Acuras. The threaded spring perch tubes need to be bored out by about .040" to fit on my 240's struts. Other than that they should bolt right on. I'm not sure about the rates for the springs that come in the kit, although they seem VERY stiff. I'll let you guys know how the install goes, would be nice to have a cheap source for coilover kits.

Guest Anonymous

I was curious about the rice coilovers but did not have the courage to try. Never could get a response to the the coilover spring rate on those fast and furious kits.Keep posting on progress. My coilovers are a combination of parts but the springs are 10 inch Carrera with known spring rates. I also have another set of 12 inch Carrera 185 # ers

Guest Thurem

Just went to PepBoys and checked them out. Managed to stand on top of one of the coils, not a very scientific method, but wiht my 250# the coil barely budged a 1/4", i.e. the spring rate is like a 1000pounds per inch. This would not be cool in a Z. Also the top retainer is made out of some super cheesy plastic.

The website for this stuff is www.4apc.net , straight off the box, I will check it out later.

I don't think this setup is gonna be a good deal. First buy kit, discard springs, buy new springs 40 - 50 bucks a piece, then bore threaded sleeves 25 -35 bucks a piece , then look at plastic tops and get quesy. Might as well buy a proven high quality setup for 400 bucks, from a friend on this site. Would most likely end up cheaper, prettier and better.

Thure

Guest timhypo
Originally posted by thurem:

I don't think this setup is gonna be a good deal. First buy kit, discard springs, buy new springs 40 - 50 bucks a piece, then bore threaded sleeves 25 -35 bucks a piece , then look at plastic tops and get quesy. Might as well buy a proven high quality setup for 400 bucks, from a friend on this site. Would most likely end up cheaper, prettier and better.

Thure

My thoughts exactly. Plus, you can't put a price on good tech support.

Guest timhypo

Besides, who would want to support a company so obviously dedicated to furthering the riceboy phenomenon. Did you see the ugly cars in their pics?

they had spark plug wires and muffler tips in their "performance" section. and the only somewhat performance adding things on the whole site was the headers and the cold air intake, which happens to mount on top of the engine so you can see it, but does it really get cold air there?

Since I already have the kit, I'm going to go ahead and use it anyway and see what happens. The upper spring perches are fairly cheesy, they appear to be made out of urethane. I'll fabricate some steel cups to reinforce them. I'm having the machine work on the lower adjusting tubes done by a friend of mine for $00.00. I may end up getting new springs for them though, wont know for sure until I get them mounted up. I'm also swapping out my front hubs with 87 300zx hubs using 12" toyota supra rotors and mazda rx-7 4 piston calipers. So I should have enough to keep me busy for a while, havent even started on the rear suspension yet.