HybridZ

400 Rebuild

Guest Anonymous

You can find good rebuild kits from a number of sources. Depending on what you are looking for (gaskets & rings only, w/pistons, w/crank, etc, etc) you can find really decent, cost effective ones from PAW, Northern Auto Parts, Summit, Speed-O-Motive, etc. Most of these companies have web sites and most advertise in HotRod and CarCraft magazines. Many kits include a camshaft of your choice, but since you already have one, see if they will throw in something extra for you. In reading your post again, the most basic kit you can buy is probably from www.northernautoparts.com

Hope this helps!

David

Guest Anonymous

Hey all, I'm making slight progress on my V8 swap. I have a 400 smallblock in WONDERFUL condition. As it, it burned little to no oil, good compression, etc. BUT, we're rebuilding it anyway. I already have a Crane Engergizer cam for it, but, knowing virtually nothing about old motors (I'm used to my Yamaha 3.0 V6 with EEC-IV), I dont even know where to begin looking for a 400 rebuild kit. Anyone care to enlighten me as to what I need?

Guest Anonymous

thanks guys! I really appreciate a starting point. Any other websites would be greatly appreciated. What is the average cost of a rebuild anyway?

I wouldnt go cheap on the Timing Gear Set; I'ld get a quality true roller by a "Big Name" seller like Cloyes.

Some things you can go cheap; other things-you get what you pay for.

I've read a couple articles in the past 10 years where some Big Name machine shop tested a dozen or so timing sets...even a few made here in USA were found to be off by a sizeable margin.

Which ever gear set you go w/make sure you've found true TDC before you just blot it all together.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)