HybridZ

engine swap choices vg30 or rb26?

Guest da-man (is not!)

Guest da-man (is not!)

Hey y'all:

I'm new here, and I'm so far fairly amazed at the amount of specialized information you seem to have.

I am in the beginning of a classic Datsun rebuild, and I would love some help making a motor choice. I think I've narrowed it to the RB26DETT or the VG30DETT. Both are readily available on Ebay, as JDM (or USDM for the VG30).

I've used the search tool abit, and it seems like y'all are very high on both motors.

So what I'm hoping for is a comparison, side-by-side, of some of the pros / cons.

Specifically: weight? Width? Height? Aftermarket support? (like go-fast goods)

I'd also like to hear anything y'all may know about problematic issues with these motors?

What am I looking for?: the ability to see ungodly amounts of hp, and an awesome sound. Because of this, I was considering going crazy and using a V8, or even the Subaru WRX STI and doing AWD, but I've finally decided that this particular Datsun should have a brand correct (Nissan) motor. I'd love to do the RB26DETT with the AWD, but I'm so far having trouble sourcing the parts for that.

Money is an object, but I have some time. I'm a pretty good fabricator, so no worries there.

what do y'all think, can ya help me out here abit?

thanks in advance.

Dan

What car is it for? If money is an object and it is a S30 I would say go for a L28ET. With the RB26 expect to spend between 10-25k at least, depending on what hp numbers you're talking about. With the VG... I don't know. I have it in my Z32 and it is a good engine, but I think there's a lot of trouble getting the engine on a S30 (I think there's a post about someone making mounts for that and saying it wasn't that hard... but I don't know if that was ever completed.) And if you wanted some advice I would say you do need to research a lot more before you get into something.

BTW... if money is an object... just forget about the AWD. :icon_frow

the vg30 is doable.there appears to be plenty of room in there for it.you will have to fab your own mounts,then you have to worry about dual exhaust manifolds and steering shaft clearances.and if you want to run larger turbos you will have to notch you frame.you will have to add in another steering shaft joint.the rb26 is the route most taken.there are already engine mount kits and the swap has been more well documented.and the rb26 has such a beautiful sound. amorfin is right.unless you have a fat wallet, you can forget about awd...whatever route you decide, good luck...

Guest da-man (is not!)

thanks for the excellent (and prompt) replies. Let me clarify and add ait.

When I say that money is an object, that's not to say that this is a low-buck build, above all else. Simply that I won't go throwing money at it "just 'cuz". If I could do the AWD for double the money, I'd do it. If I am looking at say a 25% increase in cost to go to something that adds reliability or a better sound, I may do that. But I'm not going to go throwing tens of thousands of dollars at something that can be done for 5K, for instance.

And this is going in a '66 Datsun 1600 Fairlady. That's why I'm looking for specific width and weight numbers, as well. This forum looked very knowledgeable, which is why I'm posting here. (and the first two replies didn't dissapoint)

The RB26DETT can be had on Ebay for less than $4k. The VG30DETT for under $2K. is there something I should know, when you say "expect to spend $10-$25K"? Or are you talking about a complete build costing that much? In which case, I know, but I'm trying to keep it a secret from my wife :icon10:

yes he probably meant the complete build costing that much. and i thought you were talking s30 here...i dont have measurements but both seem like they would be a really tight fit.there are topics on weight.search and you should find.have you ever thought of an sr20det.lighter and more compact..just a suggestion..good luck with the wife not finding out..just tell her the car stork just left a new engine on your door step...have fun..

Since it is for a 1600 I wouldn't be able to help. Just taking a guess I would think the RB26 would be either too big or too powerful... although everything's possible and there's no such thing as too powerful. I don't know if you could fit the VG, I've never seen the engine bay on a 1600 but the car seems too narrow for a VG. Do a comparison between the RB and SR20... big difference, but both can have more than enough power.

As far as costs go... yeah the RB26 is less than 4k but you have other things such as:

RWD Transmission (RB25 ~ $1,200)

Motor mounts fabrication (?)

Engine management system (1-2k)

Intercooler, differential, driveshaft, radiator, exhasut (1-2k)

All the custom piping (?)

Changes in suspension? Brakes?

Can the chassis handle that much power?

Boost controller, gauges, turbo timer (?)

And will you leave it completely stock? Just on turbos you can spend 2-4k. Are you messing with injectors? Cams?

I know this is hard to see because "the engine is only this much"...... but I tell you because I didn't see it until I actually started spending the money.

yeah hes aware of the costs involved.your going to spend that much on any engine you throw in there.he just needs actual measurements and weights.....so far i came up with the sr20det weighing in at 490lbs with motor and tranny .. vg30dett motor weighing in at 440 lbs and the tranny at 120lbs for a total of 560lbs...

Guest da-man (is not!)
yeah hes aware of the costs involved.your going to spend that much on any engine you throw in there.he just needs actual measurements and weights.....so far i came up with the sr20det weighing in at 490lbs with motor and tranny .. vg30dett motor weighing in at 440 lbs and the tranny at 120lbs for a total of 560lbs...

BEautifull. Thanks!

Anyone care to stick a tape measure on their motors for me? :-D

Amorfin: I don't know you, so I may be way off base here, but it sounds like you'd rather not see somebody do something cool like this. Or maybe you're just a "glass-half empty" sort of guy? :P I'm just kiddin. The fact is, I'm no stranger to making mountain motors fit into things that they shouldn't fit into. As I said earlier; I'm a pretty good fabricator, and I know what I'm doing here. I am simply new to the import scene alltogether, and what makes some of you go "oooh, aaah" is stuff I've never heard of.

Somehow, I did enough "research" to narrow my engine choices down to the VG and the RB without ever realizing that the RB was this "mythical" motor, that everyone seems to find very exotic. So that's why I'm asking here, where I assume y'all will tell me like it is.

I don't mind ya telling me all the reasons why it won't work..... I heard the same things when I put an LS1 in a Fiat Spider as well. You may indeed come up with something I hadn't though of. I do want to ask more about your "list". When I say the RB26 can be had on Ebay for $4k, that typically includes a trans, ECU and harness and etc. Is there a reason I should stay away from those? Are there "less desireable" RB26DETT's? (like the 2-bolt-made-in-mexico chevy 350 block?) Or are they all created equal?

And why the RB26 instead of the VG30DETT? I'm still undecided. The VG looks like a cheaper way to go. What's the down-side?

i dont really see a down side to the vg. cheap, easy to find parts for.jim wolf performance packages make it fairly cheap and easy to get 400 crank hp.my girl friend has the vg30dett in her z32.really nice motor.whatever you decide take a look at jazzproparts.com they seem like a decent place to get motors from.and they have free shipping..you can also get the rb26dett engine with the rb25 rwd trans.they have those as package deals..the sr20det is $1900.00 the rb26dett with rwd trans is $4200.00...the rb26dett with awd trans is $3400.00...and the vg30dett is $2200.00....i would try to steer away from ebay unless you have no other choice....there are other more reputable places to choose from...

BEautifull. Thanks!

Amorfin: I don't know you, so I may be way off base here, but it sounds like you'd rather not see somebody do something cool like this. Or maybe you're just a "glass-half empty" sort of guy? :P I'm just kiddin.

da-man: I know I was misunderstood... but don't worry about it. First thing I said was that I don't know anything about the 1600... so I wouldn't be able to help and I stated a "guess" that I specifically said.

Honestly I would love to see an RB26 in just about every Nissan/Datsun.

And don't take anything the wrong way... I'm honestly just trying to help. And it is things like what you said about the stock ECU that I was trying to make you see. I'm almost 100% sure that you will end up not using it for different reasons.

Oh and if you still need measurements let me know and I'll take them when I'm at home. I have both a VG30DETT and an RB26DETT.

P.S. If you buy an RB26 Karim is the guy to get it from. (Racer98)

Guest da-man (is not!)
da-man: I know I was misunderstood... but don't worry about it.

....I'm almost 100% sure that you will end up not using it for different reasons.

....Oh and if you still need measurements let me know and I'll take them when I'm at home. I have both a VG30DETT and an RB26DETT.

P.S. If you buy an RB26 Karim is the guy to get it from. (Racer98)

Yeah, i figured that was likely the case. It's hard to read somebody from a post or two. I'm pretty thick skinned though.... :cry2:

you may well be correct about the stock ecu being inadequate to my hp goals. I don't know much about 'em yet, and to be honest, the last turbo cars I owned was a Maserati Biturbo..... in the 80's...... and a Grand National in '92..... :coollook: so the modern turbo world is going to be fun new ground.

I'd love it of you could take some measurements for me when you get a second.

I'll post up pics and keep y'all updated as this progresses.