HybridZ

4 bolt or 2 bolt main

Guest Locutus

Guest Locutus

I found a 4 bolt main 350. the guy wants 250 for the core, the crank turns but one of the push rods is bent(may or may not be related to why the engine was given as a core) he won't let me pull the heads, it has been in the rain for a couple weeks, but it doesn't appear to be rusted inside the oil pan(actually there is no oil pan on it) all the rods are intact, and the crank appears to be fine as well. do yall think its worth 250, or should I got with a 2 bolt main 350 for 75?

Guest Anonymous

Leave it!!! $250 for an engine that is as questionable as what you describe is a rip off. I decided early on that I would get a 2 bolt block and then have splayed caps installed. These are stronger than the 4 bolt mains and the caps+machine work comes in at around $300.00. If you don't think your engine will generate enough HP and torque to warrant splayed caps than you will be fine with just 2 bolts.

SpencZ

MonsterZ cont.

I just purchased a 4 bolt engine (long block) for $125. The block and crank are virgin and it turns. If you really want the one you're looking at offer him $50 because it is a questionable part. Worst case is you have a boat anchor, best case you got a deal. Most people won't let us car guys start dismantling their engines before we buy them. I can understand why too. BECAUSE WE KNOW WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR BENT, BROKEN, CHIPPED, SCUFFED, BURNT AND VENTILATED!!!!!!! Good luck.