HybridZ

r154 questions

Guest Bulldog55

Guest Bulldog55

Hello,

I'm currently gathering parts and a list to drop a 318 with r154 (toyota trans) in a 77 280. I've looked at the info here and other sites but have just a couple of questions that I can't seem to answer.

As far as I can tell I can source the bell houseing from a 94-99 dakota this will bolt the trans to block. Per my understanding I can also use the clutch fork from an early model or a late model hydrolic throwout bearing.

Making the driveshaft is no prob. But the Flywheel and clutch pkg. What flywheel and clutch pkg due I use?

Has anyone else done the resurch, or thought this would be a good swap and found the answers.

Thanks.

Guest Bulldog55

Would there be any issues with redrilling and tapping the stock 318 flywheel (11" pressure plate) to the smaller supra p-plate 9.5"?

As long as it is redrilled properly centered. I don't see any issues. just wanted to bounce off others for ideas.

I've been looking into that combo for a swap into my 74. I believe, but I'm not certain that, you can take the ax-15 geartrain, and use the r-154 mainshaft and tailhousing and blend the two. I know ax-5 and g-52 stuff can swap, not positive on the big brothers. So I think that would solve the flywheel clutch problems.

Edit:

Sounds like with the 94-99 bell housing, custom friction plate(Otts Friction supply?) and an extended pilot bushing(advanced adapters). Then you'd have the benefit of the 11 inch clutch